simple machines forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Remember to make your own backup of posts before submitting.

Author Topic: New BSP system info  (Read 1231 times)

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holey Moley says,
« on: November 03, 2023, 03:55:19 AM »

For the record, I've now disabled the "BSP" system that hides chambers that shouldn't be visible by default. It can be turned on with a do_bsp [Option] but it has some problems because I've worked on making it work for layers.

There's a new feature in SOM_MAP on the "checkpoints" screen that lets you right-click to add a "pin" which will make a tile remain visible always.

This is helpful in some places where there are exterior/outdoor tiles, but it's also being used to patch over problem areas in the new BSP system.

The new system automatically fills all empty cells with the equivalent of a dummy tile. This is needed with layers. Unfortunately it sometimes malfunctions. I've turned it on in my KF2 demo and I've just used the "pin" system to fix problem areas.

BSP is off by default for backward compatibility and to not make new developers figure out how to use the new pinning system. The reason for all of this is to improve frame rates. And if you use the BSP system wisely you can cram a lot more monsters into interior/indoor areas. The reason you can is anything that's hidden by the BSP system won't count against the frame rate, i.e. performance.

Edited: There's also an Alt+Alt+B hotkey to enable/disable the BSP system when do_bsp is in use.
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley has 2726 posts