simple machines forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Remember to make your own backup of posts before submitting.

Author Topic: EXIT: Coming up for air...  (Read 2609 times)

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holey Moley says,
« on: June 10, 2023, 09:28:27 PM »

Before I begin I’ve been in the habit of hiding past posts of late. The current most recent post dates back to April last year. I’m sorry. Anyone paying attention to me will have seen me going through a lot of contortions concerning my lifestyle and life course. Right now I have a kind of semi-benign schizophrenia that doesn’t interfere with my ability to think, however it disrupts my life a lot. I’ve been trying to cover my tracks.

I’m currently trying to tie up unpaid work on Sword of Moonlight in order to try to begin publishing a paid “early access” version. I haven’t had success with a Patreon model thus far, but I want everyone reading this to join me at Patreon.com/Swordofmoonlight and a new alternative called SubscribeStar I’m just starting out setting up.

In all these unpublished posts I’ve done some difficult work on order-independent transparency and most recently I’ve completed the new art import system by making icons be generated by default when making use of the art system. A preview is here showing how shading and lines are used to distinguish otherwise identical tile models.

These tiles come from my King’s Field II project. My schizophrenia is slowing me down on it. It also can help, surprisingly, since my brain talks to me and seems capable of programming computers. But it mostly slows me down. I’m having to recast my life/lifestyle, and reconsider if I can hit a 2025 self-imposed deadline or not. I’m trying to sleep less, and I’m out and about a lot more than I’ve been in the past decade since I started working exclusively on Sword of Moonlight. I’m active, and spreading my activities across many different areas of interest. I’m trying to take Sword of Moonlight to the next level in terms of using it to become financially independent. I’m also pursuing disability benefits, but truly I need economic support from everyone. That means you. I know a lot of people are interested in my effort, but don’t support me materially. I want you to really ask yourself if you can do that for me? I’ve put so many years of full-time work into this to arrive at this point. And it’s hard on me to ask myself if I should carry on or not, when my heart says I must, but my outlook says I can’t sustain this forever.

I want to thank everyone who has supported me in the past and present and in the future too! Please join us. For those who do not I want to try to get Sword of Moonlight onto Steam. I just have to figure out if it’s going to be compatible with its launcher. And I’m going to put the current version on Archive.org soon. I intend to add a few more features to it, but in the future I’m going to publish new features based on fundraising goals and sales figures. This is overdue, and I really have no choice at this point. Once set up on Steam I’m going to approach From Software to see if they are interested in collaborating on a physical edition of Sword of Moonlight with a developer license, and program something like SOM_RUN, for the paid version. It’s going to be “early access” for a while, and it’s going to need guides to be written. It will stay there until it has everything a paid product should have.

Here's more information in the main thread: http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/bbs2/index.php?topic=373.0

To update I recommend SVN Update and redownload your theme/language package for a new big map editor mode.

http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/main/single-file-download/ has a direct download link that I must patch up right now.

EDITED: I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row, including putting the King's Field 1 sample back into the package. I've removed the CODE folder and put it on Github instead at https://github.com/m-7761/swordofmoonlight with a Ghidra database too.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 12:07:34 AM by Holey Moley »
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley has 2726 posts

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 02:45:33 AM »

semi-release

http://csv.swordofmoonlight.net/SomEx.dll/1.2.4.8.zip (SVN Update)

I've increased the size of the download a lot by adding a full KING'S FIELD folder with English and Japanese versions.

This release also replaces the movie player and uses mp4 for KING'S FIELD.

Playing movies has been a problem for a while. The code is supposed to play DRM video but I haven't tried it. The Microsoft demo I got it from doesn't do anything else special but I haven't tested it with a DRM protected movie that I know for certain. It uses Media Foundation.

I may turn this into a blog post if I think the project is ready for it. It's currently using the translation work done for the SOM patch on archive.org which I know JDO wrote and DMPDesign inputted into SOM. There's a vocal track for the English movies who I don't know who to credit for (https://archive.org/details/so-m-3-d-rpg-maker-install)

I've asked TheStolenBattenberg to help upscale these movies, but they're not up that way yet. The text may be an issue.

Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 12:20:01 AM »

semi-release

http://csv.swordofmoonlight.net/SomEx.dll/1.2.4.10.zip (SVN Update)

This is a small release that fixes an x2mdl.dll problem and adds a wind sound effect that plays when running and dodging and falling.

It's controlled like this:

Code: [Select]
[Sample]

;1000.wav is default
;headwind_identifier = 1000

;headwind_ambient_wind_effect = 0.1

sample_pitch_adjustment = nan(se_pitch[1_](2_),2_)
sample_volume_adjustment = nan(se_volume[1_](2_),2_)

The effect can make it seem like there's wind in the environment and makes the wind sound louder until it might be heard when doing nothing if your speakers are sensitive. When it's set to -1 it will do the opposite, making the ambient wind more crisp than the default, which is 0. Altering the volume and pitch is also possible.

The formula is tailored to the default human/earth like movement and gravity. It's loudest when falling from high above and doesn't get that loud when running. It's meant to be inaudible when walking and jogging. It depends a lot on BGM volume though if you can hear it or not, especially when dashing/dodging. It'll probably get fine-tuned more in the future, but this is something I've planned for falling for a very long time.

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 03:39:41 PM »

3d model editor (Alt+click)

http://csv.swordofmoonlight.net/SomEx.dll/1.2.4.12.zip (SVN Update)

I've uploaded changes to better integrate MM3D into SOM by pressing Alt+Click in SOM_MAP and SOM_PRM and preferring the EXE in the new MM3D folder so it will "just work" without setting up Windows Explorer "Open With" files associations.

The following extension will use the "Open With" file association.

Code: (Ex.ini) [Select]
[Editor]

do_not_open_with_mm3d

Note, I recommend associating your SOM extension files with TOOL/SOM_EX.exe.

Hopefully this will help orient everyone who's interested in custom art. I hope this is helpful. The alt+click works wherever the profiles can be opened up.

I'm currently working toward shields. The version of mm3d-portable.exe in this release is stuck and it has a new Reorder window that helps for ordering the left and right arms in a 2 handed arm model.

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 04:40:50 AM »

Sword-of-Moonlight reset

I've reset the Subversion repository so that all the history is gone... I've saved a private copy as sex_history in case historians want to plumb it one day.

I'm going to be making a new blog post before long since there's a new release available. This change is to wipe the slate clean, but mainly to remove source code from the history, as I already removed the folders.