Sword of Moonlight > Devs

Ordered transparency blending

<< < (2/2)

Holey Moley:
break (it turns out)

I kind of expected this to not pan out. It happened that combinatorial explosion ramped up very fast for even simple models, but I also couldn't quite get it working to see a visual because of something wrong in the computer memory I couldn't figure out last night. I have a sense it's a dead end, but part of me wants to get to the bottom of that to be certain I got the formulation right.

I'd like to keep the code I worked on around in case it might be viable in some other formulation.

Now I guess I'm left to what I probably should've done in the first place, which is to just sort the triangles according to plane-distance to the screen. I think it may work alright if it goes by the closest vertex to the screen, but I'm not sure. It's not technically correct like partitioning is. But it seems there's no commonsense way to do partitioning without abandoning the novel antialiasing scheme I've worked so hard on over the years. (I'm afraid this other approach will work in general but is going to have the occasional glitch. I just hope it's a charming flaw and not a blight if so. I'm worried there will be no solution and I'll feel like destiny is not on SOM's side. I wonder if games will ever really switch to ray-tracing since it would make this difficult problem just go away pretty much.)

There may yet be some exceedingly clever and complicated way to do it, but that's not a priority now.

It's not often that I actually fail at my projects. I rarely go back to the drawing board. I can't even remember the last time, but I'm sure I've had some failures in the past. Anyway, this has been a pretty bad experience so far. I'd like to move beyond it, but I'm not giving up.

Holey Moley:
return of the king

I have a new release ready for tomorrow, already uploaded. It just adds this feature, which doesn't always work right for some complicated (concave) geometry, like the Crystal Flask in KFII for instance. But I'm keeping it as is for now.

I've also rewritten/reorganized the main site's pages and added a ZIP download for Sword of Moonlight. I don't have full days to work on SOM stuff anymore so I'm trying to do odd spring cleaning things here and there; things I've put off. I'm hoping I can make things seem more legit around here before I ever get around to finishing my KFII project.

I probably shouldn't say so, but programming wise I feel like I should go back to working on the swimming and flying monsters in my KF2 project because I left them unfinished. I think that's what I'm going to do next. I'm going to try to add text and other features everyone expects too. It would be nice to add wave sound effects to the beach.

EDITED: I'm going to try to remember to increase the sneaking speed some.

Holey Moley:

This is now in the latest release as do_alphasort. It's pretty good but can impact performance.


[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version