simple machines forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Remember to make your own backup of posts before submitting.

Author Topic: EXIT: Not dead! King's Field II  (Read 3538 times)

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holey Moley says,
« on: January 02, 2019, 06:55:52 PM »

Damn! it’s been 3 months without an update. I guess I should put something… here.

First of all, I’ve not been on break. Mostly I was busy using Sword of Moonlight to make a game (demo) for once. I found out it takes a lot of time/work to make a video game. After I got to stopping point, I have gone back to working on a COLLADA software library. I actually did that some in October, and then took a break, before returning in December. I’m working on that at my own glacial pace. I will eventually get it into some art software useful for working with Sword of Moonlight. I just don’t know when. I can’t even guess. It is a very serious library. It’s not actually about COLLADA, it’s really XML Schema for C++. But COLLADA is a veritable labyrinth of XML; so it’s worth it to invest as much as possible into the foundational infrastructure. I hope it will be of use to others. I hope the same for Sword of Moonlight. Despite the crushing yearly reality that none of you out there seem drawn to these things as am I.

Please try out that demo. One benefit of making a game is I get to see Sword of Moonlight through an author’s eyes. It’s hard to explain, but when you primarily develop software, it’s not good if you don’t use the software, and depend on it. To some degree, because I didn’t feel like it was ready to make games with, I’d resisted putting myself in that position. As a programmer alone you can’t see the forest for the trees so-to-speak.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:10:48 PM by Holy Diver »
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley has 2726 posts

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 07:51:40 AM »

FYI: Right now the latest SomEx.dll is technically a demo build, and so is not yet in the updater menu. Link below. Since I'm not working on SOM a lot of late, I might try to put a new release out before long. I know there's a lot in this demo build that accrued working on this King's Field II demo.

http://csv.swordofmoonlight.net/SomEx.dll/1.2.2.9.zip
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 04:51:17 AM »

Update: I (FINALLY) completed my COLLADA work (https://sourceforge.net/p/collada-dom/code/934/) and am looking at working directly on SOM/King's Field II again.

I know it goes quiet in here when I work on that stuff. I feel like I've really ran myself into the ground on it this time... and may not return to it again in 2019. Especially because I need to break more ground on King's Field 2 before my timeline for finishing it is eaten up by less pressing matters...

But I have to keep returning to this COLLADA stuff at least annually so it doesn't appear neglected/abandoned.