simple machines forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Remember to make your own backup of posts before submitting.

Author Topic: Myers Briggs: what kind of character are you?  (Read 7527 times)

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holey Moley says,
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:50:38 PM »

This is pretty clever,

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/myers-briggs-and-character-creation

Just curious where you think you fit in, and maybe someone might find this helpful in devising characters for your game worlds. Try to be intellectually honest before declaring your affiliation.

FYI: I am firmly in the ITSP camp.  According to Wikipedia that places me here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crafter_%28role_variant%29) which sounds just about right. Note that this interpretation seems to be an extension of the Myers Briggs model. I am a bit of an extremist, so I am fairly confident in my own assessment.

The dichotomies are all very central to the way we interact with the world. And having them in a neat and tidy 4x4 matrix is always helpful :thumbsup:

EDITED: There is also this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISTP_%28personality_type%29) on Wikipedia, and probably the same treatment for the other 15 classifications. This is better than astrology if you ask me. But I have a feeling if you reverse ITSP (ENFJ) you'd get someone who is into astrology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENFJ

PS: Anything based on Jung's work is probably great for games. People don't take it seriously. But it's go to stuff if you gotta pull off a good gamey story. Maybe that's the difference between fantasy and real life.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:10:39 AM by Holy Diver »
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley has 2726 posts

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:28:22 PM »

^To be honest with myself. I think I am probably INTP. If I wasn't I'd probably be more of an academic. ISTP is my world view, but INTP is more how I actually go about my life.

I prefer to think I am more of a data guy. But really I run on my intuition. In other words, I am more of a big picture thinker, even though I recognize the importance of the data underpinning the picture.

I am also very much an artist. It seems like intuition would have to be dominant or that would not be possible. I think if you didn't have intuition on your side you'd probably either make really bad art or have a mental breakdown just trying to fit art into the sensory data mold. I like to think about how that can be done theoretically, with computers, but its something that I am not comfortable subjecting my own mind to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architect_%28role_variant%29
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:45:25 PM »

Here is the chart used by Extra Credits, stolen from Bing! Images.

http://brainmass.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/mbti.jpg

Source (http://brainmass.com/blog/life-skills/relate-myers-briggs-personality-type-indicator/)

I think it would be useful if everyone sorted themselves into one of these groups in your sig' or as part of a custom function of your profile, like gender.

Wolf

• View Profile
Wolf says,
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 06:50:28 PM »

I took that test years back and believe I came in as an INFJ, but I was actually close to 50/50 on all but the Introvert which made the test not really very informative.

From here, (It's on the INTERNET so it MUST be true):

INFJ: The Conspiracy Theorist

Beneath the calm, collected exterior of the INFJ lies the horrible reality of someone who has seen The Truth. The INFJ knows what other people are too naive or too brainwasted to admit: the Conspiracy is real. Mistrustful and suspicious, the INFJ is not easily fooled, and does not take the word of the government-controlled medico-military-industrial complex for anything. Whether it's uncovering the plot by butter-eating Jews to clog the arteries of Christian folk with artificial margarine or discovering the secret laboratory in Tibet that's producing legions of Jimmy Carter clones that will be sent out to seize the manufacturing facilities in the Guangdong Province of China under the pretext of inspecting chickens for influenza, there is no lengths the INFJ won't go to in order to blow the lid off the whole thing.

INFJs can often be found holding down jobs as AM radio talk-show hosts. They can also be found driving taxis in the greater Washington, DC area. Other common jobs often held by INFJs include vagrant, loony, whacko, and writer/director/producer of the television show "Seinfeld." INFJs can also be found feeding that crucial bit of information to determined FBI agents just before they are brutally murdered.

RECREATION: INFJs often come home from a hard day's work exposing conspiracies about how the government is poisoning us with mind-control agents spread by passenger airliners and unwind by spending all night writing Web sites exposing conspiracies about how NASA faked the Bush election.

COMPATIBILITY: INFJs are usually happiest and most successful in relationships with Julia Roberts, though the relationships may not end happily.

Famous INFJs include...well, if I told you, I'd have to kill you.

INTP: The Egghead

The typical INTP is a logical, abstract thinker whose intellect is ideally suited to understanding pure mathematics, linguistics, formal logic theory, and other pursuits unsuited to making a real living. The INTP can often understand even the most subtle nuances of lattice quantum chromodynamics, but cannot perform more concrete tasks such as dressing himself, operating a motor vehicle, or opening a door. An INTP may be able to tell you how to construct a nuclear reactor from a coconut and two pieces of string, but may be completely incapable of fixing a hole in a boat.

The INTP is really only suited to two careers: college professor and game show contestant. Of these career choices, only one offers the financial rewards which allows him to suport himself; for that reason, INTPs often take the other path, and become tenured academics.

RECREATION: Surprisingly, INTPs are often the hit of the party--not for their sometimes annoying habit of turning every discussion into a debate about semantics nor for their fascinating stories about Pierre de Fermat's habit of writing things in the margins of his books, but for the fact that they often show up with their pants on backwards and that if you put a Post-It note reading "Kick Me" on an INTP's back, he won't notice it no matter how many people kick him. That kind of entertainment never gets old.

COMPATIBILITY: INTPs make ideal companions to INTJs, as neither of them notices they're in a relationship.

Famous INTPs include Pierre de Fermat and almost everyone who knows what Pierre de Fermat wrote in the margins of his book.

ISTP: The Psycho Vigilante

ISTPs are quiet, unassuming people, who tend to be mechanically gifted but withdrawn and reserved. ISTPs often need a great deal of personal space and "alone time," which may give others the impression that they are aloof; in reality, this time is necessary to hide their secret identities.

The typical ISTP leads a dual life; his outward reserve and quiet masks an inward seething rage at the injustice of life--often, the death of a loved one at the hands of a criminal. In this secret life, the ISTP uses his mechanical gifts to create a terrifying arsenal of bizarre weapons with which to strike fear into the heart of evil. Sometimes, ISTPs may become evil themselves, either slowly over a long period of time or in response to a perceived rejection from the very people they are trying to save.

RECREATION: ISTPs are happiest when they are building and constructing--either new weapons to smite their enemies, or new plots to destroy those who oppose them. They have a very industrial sense of aesthetics, and can spend hours absorbed in the appreciation of works of art such as a 1969 Hemi Cuda retrofitted with missile launchers and ejection seats.

COMPATIBILITY: ISTPs don't often get along well with their extroverted cousins, Evil Overlords and Mad Scientists. Instead, they prefer the company of INTPs, or perhaps their pets. Romantic relationships with ISTPs tend to be drawn-out, tragic affairs, filled with bitterness, longing, and teenage angst. The sex is usually pretty good, however.

Famous ISTPs include Spider-Man and Q.

Wolf has 148 posts

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 06:58:05 AM »

No offense Wolf but that's exactly my assessment of your probable character with what little experience I have with you. Of course as an extremely "perceptive" I am nonjudgmental so I can't prejudge without apparently absolutely irrefutable evidence.

I don't think 50/50 is a big deal or unlikely, but I would go by your own characterization and if you can that of others before a survey or something like that. It's totally useful 50/50 just means you are flexible.

Being more granular than 50/50 (or one or the other) is probably not useful.

And of course, INFJ: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counselor_%28role_variant%29 (spoiler: Gandhi)

Wikipedia, or at least these articles, seems to assume best possible human potential. Of course Myers Briggs has nothing to say for abilities, integrity, reciprocity, and probably countless other things. You really have to read how it works before reading anything into this stuff (here.)

PS: Not that I would prefer to be the Egghead or The Psycho Vigilante, but I am definitely INTP and not even somewhere in between, even though in the usual matrices the two are side by side if that means anything... at least it means you could chart a continuum, but I don't know if Myers-Briggs proper would support that. Bottom line, retreat to raw data does not recuperate my batteries. And well, why anyone would aspire to being a modern Olympian has always confounded me.

EDITED: This alternative source could probably be useful for comedic / cynical / dastardly takes on the same themes. To imagine Gandhi and "The Conspiracy Theorist" under the same roof is an interesting exercise to say the least. I would take these with a grain of salt...

The Egghead for instance to me anyway if I had to guess I would say ISTP, since it seems to be geared toward extreme feats of analysis in an almost savant like way. I don't think that is INTP. It just sounds like an Olympian were the Olympics about academic gymnastics. Most artists would probably fall into INTP. Whereas ISTP seems like a natural fit for minimum-maximum competitors.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:56:10 AM by Holy Diver »