Sword of Moonlight > Devs

EXIT: A light at the end of the tunnel...

<< < (2/2)

Holey Moley:
My workstation is without a GPU card right now until I can decide what to do (it's like a 3hr job to put the old one back in and I'm waiting for some mail to see if the new one can be used or not by updating the BIOS)

I'm also facing the prospect of reverting back to Windows 7 after upgrading to 10 because it keeps switching the signal to the monitor off. So I was going to just take a break, or switch to working on my backup PC. But even with the crippled video without the GPU card or with it only half functional (I don't know which is which) at least Windows 10 isn't switching the monitor off (getting it back requires a reset)

So! I recalled the problem with the updater/downloader I wrote about in the last post, and thought I should challenge myself to work on that instead. It's never too soon to fix that problem (if there is a short order fix) and it isn't something that requires a GPU card, so it seems like the right thing to do at the moment.

I need my work more than it needs me. I always regret not having more time to read or this or that much less play a video game once a year, but without my work something is missing from my life. I'm unfit for anything except nose to the grindstone, monastic work.

And so with any luck I'll probably be posting a new version of Somversion soon. But probably not with the same fanfare of a SomEx release.

Holey Moley:
Fix/demo

I just noticed that I broke the newly added object bottom clipping when I was adding the probing for passing beneath objects while running.

Strikeout: it was supposed to be added, but technically this is its first appearance.

There is a demo attached that fixes this. It's technically a demo for the next release. Right now it just has an improved sky, and probably some things that will improve the frame rate.

It also has jitter built into do_stipple. The extensions including do_halve are officially part of the next release. I'm inclined change do_halve's name since I've increasingly convinced myself that its goal of halving the number of pixels computed is likely futile since AFAIK GPUs work on batches of pixels that tend to be small square grids, but I think I'll hold out in case the technology exists or will exist to do line shaped batches.

(I honestly think the interlaced motion blur effect is so effective it should be built into hardware so that batches know to exclude every other row. I wish I knew what to websearch to find out if anything like this exists.)

PS: Where the skies blend into the horizon is smoother than ever with dither since the stipple/jitter techniques add two additional levels of subjective blending. You have to setup sky blending into the skyline for this demo, but I intend to make that automatic by default in the final (non-demo) version of the next release.

Holey Moley:
FYI

I have a new SomEx.dll build that fixes a problem with SOM_MAIN's New Project dialog that says not enough disk space. Somehow (I don't see how after fixing the problem) this doesn't always happen (edited: Verdite alerted me to this)

And a fix for opening SOM_MAIN up into script editing mode from one of the new buttons in the other tools that is/was crashing in the Release builds.

If anyone needs this post or email me.

Holey Moley:

There is a new version of Somversion.dll (1.0.3.2) up that addresses the longstanding issue with the downloader on some systems. I had to bring my workstation into town to debug this, so it's been a while coming.

Just update your TOOL folder. The updater may want to update Somversion.dll afterward, but you can just cancel (it will report that the versions are the same)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version