Sword of Moonlight > Devs

EXIT: Every part of the controller

<< < (2/2)

Holey Moley:
Patch & Important Updater Files :doh:

For this release I forgot to update the SomEx.csv file so that the updater finds the newest version of the SomEx.dll file. So I've uploaded it along with a few object PRF files that I edited yesterday because they had way, way too large circumferences that for some reason yesterday felt even larger than I remembered.

In addition to this, I've updated the SomEx.dll file (http://csv.swordofmoonlight.net/SomEx.dll/1.2.2.14.zip) to fix a glitch likely from the last patch that could put the climbing status into a confused state, and I changed climbing on shorter platforms to not duck down and to climb more slowly...

I didn't like the feel of it, and I'm pretty sure I didn't test it when I was working on that change last minute when I was last patching this realease. My KF2 project doesn't have short platforms, but half-meter platforms are standard for SOM's stock map tiles.

I chose to slow down climbing in general, and only use the old climbing speed on tall platforms and jumping onto platforms. I didn't slow it down but made the slower speed the default.

Sorry about the update files thing. It's a pity for anyone who might have tried SOM since this release was published, especially because I consider this a high quality release.

EDITED: I later uploaded improved clipping models for the columns in the cemetery.

Holey Moley:
For the record, for future releases/patches yesterday for triggers I augmented the way to transition from running to crouching/squatting to require the trigger to be fully released  in order to avoid accidentally doing it just by trying to adjust your grip on the triggers.

I am not a fan of triggers, I wish that in order to add them to controllers we didn't have to sacrifice our digital buttons to the trigger gods. I've never once in my video game career used a trigger for anything since they were added to the PS3 generation controllers; nothing that a button isn't better suited to.

They make the jumping/squatting system unpredictable. I'm still occasionally making mistakes with them, but at least I'm aware of the problems. I pray at some point I can improve the experience somehow. In theory triggers offer more immediate, sensitive feedback that can be useful, and maybe even superior with enough innovation time.

I want to make SOM a permanent game system. You lose a lot in the ephemeral nature of games as product. Here today, gone tomorrow, in a sense you can never improve that way, or you're always pouring new foundations, and there is always a chance of back sliding.

Holey Moley:
Follow-up

(For the record,)

I've added (3mos later) an update to the http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/bbs2/index.php?topic=301.0 link about new control additions continuing in the same vein. I'm planning a new release that will highlight these additions, however I don't think I will be able to take time to do a write-up until after I can publish my new KF2 demo in the next few days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version