Sword of Moonlight > Devs

EXIT: There's no place like home

(1/3) > >>

Holey Moley:

--- Quote from: http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/archives/sword-of-moonlight/2019/11/theres-no-place-like-home/ ---For a while (several months) it’s been unclear what was going to happen to this site since I had to move it to a new hosting company and it wasn’t clear if I would be able to find one. Because I didn’t know what would happen and wanted to keep a banner up to communicate the situation I’ve abstained from blogging until the situation had been resolved.

That banner is still available as the previous blog post (to this one) dating back to March. I refer you to it for details. First the old company decided to wait on its deadline to move, so I had more time to work with, but my account ran out of funds, and under the circumstances it didn’t make sense to buy a new long term plan. But lucky for us, by this time I finally found news that the staff of the old company (and maybe some clients too) endeavored to make a new company out of its ashes, and so my decision about where to go next was made crystal clear. That’s the greatest relief and the best possible happy ending I could have dreamed of. The new host is called Opalstack, and there’s a link at the bottom of the page layout here.

I hope to make up for the absence of blog posts in the coming months. Below pictured are two blog subjects that might have been, that received only update lines in the aforementioned banner posting. The first image is of a new effect that blends the seams in map geometry together. This is something that I suppose Sword of Moonlight should have had all along. It was omitted like many things because the software’s tendency to neglect anything not required by the pack-in remake of King’s Field. The second image is a new extension that makes it possible to have transparent elements to base their opacity on their volume along an imaginary line between the viewer and pixels. It’s per-pixel in other words. Combined with the new layers feature it enables many special effects.

Lately I’ve been working on a precursor to the Daedalus 3-D project so that I can make progress transferring King’s Field II’s animations over to Sword of Moonlight. And most lately I’ve been dividing my time trying to transfer this website over to this new host, that has not been a simple job, owing to some technical challenges that I may go into in the forum-discussion accompanying this blog post. It’s possible not everything works.
--- End quote ---

It's been a while since I've done this! Make a blog post/forum discussion post. I guess I've done this like a robot for years. I assume people find and read them or even subscribe, but I don't know. People of this world are so hard to reach. I sometimes don't write a forum post immediately after a blog post because writing one takes the wind out of me, forgive me. But I have to satisfy the need for the cross-link.

I suspect that nothing on this new server is being cached in the browser. I have to look into it, but it seems to always be reloading. I have a bit more control over the new website owing to there wasn't as much infrastructure in place as at the old company so I was encouraged to install pretty much all of the hosting software into my account. That's actually a good development I believe since it means I may be better positioned to maintain the site in the future since everything it needs to operate is in theory inside its file tree, so that I can make copies of it, ones to work on and one to publish, and maybe others to experiment with... crazily I may even try to update the various web software involved, which all date back many years at this point. As a side effect I have to micromanage more, but that means more freedom too.

That is partly the difficulty I experienced in transferring this site (I have more sites to transfer too, one at a time, including swordofmoonlight.org.) The other big part was a desire to get with the program and upgrade from PHP5 to PHP7, that was not easy because they are very different. I couldn't risk just updating the software to new versions to do that, so I had to go into my own software and retrofit it myself, as its developers must have done at some stage during the past half-decade. Needless to say some things may not work properly. But everything I know of seems to be working. I could have fallen back to PHP5 also, and I plan to do that for some websites that I'm not interested in bringing into the future (although at some point I will have to figure out something if I plan to keep them online) but for the main sites I want to test them live so that I can stumble over anything that's broken and fix it. If you don't use them there's no other way to discover problems.

The most important thing is the Sword of Moonlight files are available for anyone that wants to try them out, even though almost no one seems to give them more than a passing glance. Sometimes I wish I could change the world's collective attention span with a snap of my fingers :rolleyes:

Holey Moley:
Here (https://github.com/mick-p1982/mm3d/releases/download/win32-demo/mm3d-portable.zip) is a single EXE version of the 3D modeling software project I've been hard at work at for a while now.

That is a direct download link, more information is here (https://github.com/mick-p1982/mm3d/releases/tag/win32-demo) and there is source code in the directories above that one. Please give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

P.S. Publishing this is a major milestone for myself. I've been wanting to get it off my chest so-to-speak plus it's good to have files out in the wild so I know they don't depend on my own safekeeping abilities.

Background: http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/bbs2/index.php?topic=293.0

Holey Moley:
The wiki (http://en.swordofmoonlight.org) is now migrated. It was a good sized job to upgrade the wiki software owing to lots of conversion work around the theme.

I just did some work on the (unused) web-ring system to deal with X-Frame-Options headers that prevent frames from loading cross-domain documents.

There's still things inside swordofmoonlight.net (WordPress) to work on but otherwise my Sword of Moonlight sites are both migrated now. For me the new wiki only took an hour to be available under the domain name. The blog took almost a day. But it can be different depending on where you are on the Internet.

Holey Moley:
The experimental Subversion integration and WebGL model viewer stuff is back online:

http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/wp-admin/admin.php?page=database&home=pc&view=/intelligence/reactive/set/マントラップ&file=/data/enemy/prof/0002.prf

EDITED: You can use Guest Login to login without making an account. One word per field.

The Subversion stuff is really good for downloading old versions of files, but most of the features I imagined aren't implemented, just what I need to work. I wish that it had an English translation at least. Not enough time to do everything by myself.

Holey Moley:
I do a yearly summary/overview on GameFAQs (assuming people still use it) that I've just posted here (https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/958393-sword-of-moonlight-kings-field-making-tool/78282725) but FWIW it doesn't say much more than what's in this post. In fact I just linked to it for the most part.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version