Sword of Moonlight > Devs

EXIT: Escape from Sword of Moonlight

<< < (2/7) > >>

Holey Moley:
Patch

OKAY! WTF Gives?! Now I feel like the universe is just toying with me....

http://csv.swordofmoonlight.net/SomEx.dll/1.2.1.8.zip

I don't know why but something in the Visual Studio text editor I always DISABLE was enabled yesterday, it does drag-and-drop copy paste, and managed to turn a number from

test        dword ptr [ecx+edx+8],80000000h

into

test        dword ptr [ecx+edx+8],08000000h

And I'm just damn glad I noticed it before it became something completely impossible to trace back to the source.

So in the last patch, this makes items appear to be invisible.

I'd been trying to make sense of a bug that crashes the Moratheia demo when going into some maps. It has something to do with items.

Off-topic: Yesterday I stumbled across something that appears as if it can only be one thing. I don't want to say what it is just yet. But I'll just tease that it's big and cool and it's basically something everyone's wanted SOM to be able to do that the King's Field games all have, and it's actually inside SOM and working, but SOM_MAP just doesn't have the settings to tell the player what to do with this capability.

Holey Moley:
Patch

This patch fixes a problem where dashing was not accelerating. A "clinging" variable never quite got to 0 and was impeding the dash as if climbing.

I think this happened because I removed a test for pushing against the wall up to X amount, so that any push at all, even residual would climb. I thought that that approach was probably from pre-clipper extension days.

CAREFUL: Like 5 or 10 minutes ago I uploaded a version of this patch that disabled ducking into crawlspaces. I thought the climbing code should be more conservative but while trying to understand this I realized it was for crawlspaces too.

ALSO There's a semi-experimental fix for that Moratheia demo bug I mentioned in the earlier post. I don't believe it can cause any harm, but I still don't know what caused the bug to begin with.

Holey Moley:

Special parting PATCH

This patch enables mouse-wheels! Finally.

Some years ago I disabled mouse-wheeling. I think it still worked in drop-down menus. But it was very inconsistent quality wise, and the listboxes (e.g. events and SOM_PRM's main lists) were embarrassingly awful. It's really dumb because the listviews (some of the multi column lists) always worked wonderfully. SOM_MAP's treeview was very bad too. And the custom view ports didn't work at all I think. So for consistency sake I just put it off.

I thought that I would get around to changing the listboxes to use listviews. I don't like how the listbox is highlighted. Since it looks like it's selected.

This afternoon I just wondered, what a really stupid mouse-wheel implementation would look like, and it looked alright. So here it is.

Holey Moley:
Fancy patch

Believe me, I feel foolish to keep spouting off "patch!" in the last few days; but...

Technically this fixes an error with the tap_or_hold_ms_timeout extension being limited to 500ms even though the default has been 375ms for a very long time. (Defaults aren't limit checked.)

In the beginning 375 was tantamount to ninja speed. But over time it became simply the most responsive setting; especially for video game veterans.

Today I started to notice, or think that 375 looked kind of glitchy, because it just wasn't enough time to do the dash-step move at 60 frames per second. I'm sure it would look alright at a higher frame rate, but it feels choppy at 60. (It could be a low FOV thing. Many settings feel different depending on the FOV.)

So I tried 400, but it didn't feel right. But just in the middle ... an odd 383.33 both feels right and gives a good animation. It's just one extra frame at 60 frames per second. So don't let any one tell you frame rate doesn't matter. Even 1 frame is visually perceptible.

This extension still exists to convey both speed and heft of movement. But honestly it's so circumscribed down to a single frame that I can't recommend to fool with it, default wise. Some players might be on a different wavelength; but let them do it themselves I think.

ANOTHER little touch is in all my clipper testing I began to sense that the footstep sound was too precise and so sounded like a perfectly timed machine. So I added some randomness to the pitch and volume. It's virtually imperceptible, but you might notice if it wasn't there. There's more variation at slower/quieter speeds.

If it seems too loud, it's just playing at the same volume as the NPC's footsteps. I can't tell a difference in any case. May be the PRF files can't even change the volume level. The volume only goes down. Unless your speakers are very low, you probably don't want to set the sound effects volume higher than 10.

EDITED: For some reason 383.33 can get stuck in dashing mode. I've changed it to 383 until I can figure out what's going on. Assuming this trouble is even because of the fractional part.

Holey Moley:
 :confused: I think there must be something very wrong with the walking motion effects in this build. I can't understand what it is. And I don't know how I didn't notice it before. Or how long it's been like this.

I think I've improved the back and forth motion. But whatever is glitching out makes the improvement practically undetectable.

There's something very off. It's just very subtle. But that's all it takes. I'm going to have to tear the whole thing apart at this rate :censored:

EDITED: I should probably start (tomorrow) by see what some older releases look like....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version