Sword of Moonlight > Demos

Moratheia

<< < (2/5) > >>

Holey Moley:
I like what you did there with the A :eek:

I know I've dogged you over the past year or less, but I hope the world hasn't seen the last of this effort, but it's going to require a lot more attention than it got in 2015.

It would be good to get a big game on display here on this website. I read the swordofmoonlight.com forums, and ever so often someone invariably makes a thread asking about problems that have been fixed for years, only to be told that there's nothing that can be done about it. I don't know what makes people go to that website for information first, unless it's just that it has some links to games on the front page (edited: and this also sickens me every time because I get the sinking feeling the people offering the advice have some kind of unspoken vendetta against my work, because I can't understand why anyone would carry on with an inferior product and even advise others that there's no alternative. Also, for readers, I am banned from that website, so I cannot offer advise myself. Banned for abuse of authority reasons; hint, I was not in a position of authority.)

The webmaster does occasionally explain SomEx when these threads occur, but people do not show interest in it, and these explanations tend to come very late as he doesn't seem to read the forum as often as I do (clicking on it is more or less one of my daily clicks along with checking mail and this website)

I'd also like to have something to show people to introduce SOM with. It would be good if you could make a miniature version of Moratheia so to show off all of SOM's potential while still coming in at a reasonably small download size. The world of computer games seems to be expanding into a vast universe while simultaneously getting stretched impossibly thin. I am unsure if anything in it appeals to me any longer, but whenever something does, it's very often I resign myself to not investigating it, because doing that would mean pulling down multiple gigabytes of data. I mean I can do that in the middle of the night with my satellite based ISP thankfully... but it's not the same as streaming an HD movie over a service like Netflix, because it's permanently on your system, until you finish it, or delete it after 10min (which is almost guaranteed to be the case) and I just don't need the hassle. If video games don't figure out a streaming model, I probably will never partake in them again as long as the download sizes keep ballooning (never mind the load screens and 2hr upfront install times) so I'm very committed to making SOM a streaming media format.

PS: I had a bad weekend too. Visiting my family in town is usually about as pleasant as being sick! and I usually end up actually sick once back home, having been exposed to all of the bugs in town!! Speaking of being sick, the guy responsible for probably the most SOM projects posted in that forum the other day that he's been stricken with cancer ... I don't know if this is the best place to mention it, but just passing along the news. He didn't offer anymore details. I hope for SOM's sake the same fate does not befall me (that would literally suck for SOM :saint:)

PPS: Speaking of the unspeakable ... I was very impressed by a game of late called That Dragon, Cancer. It looks like King's Field, in a good way, and does an impressive job of accomplishing the objects of my hopes and desires for this medium--3D--and SOM. I think this is the direction 3D is heading in, I really hope it is anyway. I want it to be like an arm of literature, but right now it's more like an arm of your childhood toy box. I only worry that TDC has already set the bar too high for projects like it, that could result in fewer people trying to do the same kind of thing, for fear of being compared unfavorably, or just for feeling like it's been done already, and relatively well. It also sets a precedent, that may inadvertently short-circuit undeliberate experimentation going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only person in the world that thinks about these things this way.

Holey Moley:
Here are some understated screenshots I've lying around, from my time wandering around inside this environment. I actually really wish that I had more variety of places to wander around in, performing my various tests of Sword of Moonlight's features as they come online for the first time or receive very long awaited revisits.

Note that these images look better in the player, as the new antialiasing style extension works by showing many images over time, however it just so happens that two frames are overlaid, so a significant portion of the effect shows through in still images. The hairlike blades of tall grass in the background would look like so many unconnected shards shimmering in the sky otherwise.

Holey Moley:
Administrator's note: there were briefly screenshots in the top post today, but they've been removed. Hopefully to provide new screenshots under circumstances that make Sword of Moonlight look as competent as possible. In the meantime, I would like to see screens in that post! It used to say "screens coming soon". :confused:

Holey Moley:
 :box:

Holey Moley:
The author asked me to share these full color images of new art they've worked on in the intervening years. I must admit that I don't know the status of Moratheia as a game proper. But I'm very excited about the prospect of a new demonstration on the horizon.

There are more attachments coming in the next post. I can't tell if these are new takes on Moratheia or new in-game environs. The image with the man is certainly reminiscent of a scene with all different models in the most recent demonstration.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version