Sword of Moonlight > Devs

EXIT: Unfinished Business

<< < (2/3) > >>

Holey Moley:
Because a tree fell across a road through the woods on the property I live, and because it clipped a power line on its way down, I was a day late getting back to work. The tree is still there, so I may lose another day yet to that (I was hoping it would be in the way of the power company, but no)

Anyway, after investigating into the remaining defects in the input animation-like effects identified above, I decided that it was foolhardy too have ever looked upon the inertial sliding effect as a complement to the leaning into obstacles effect (technically this is an interesting but also desirable side-effect of the way things work)

While at a glance it does make the leaning effect much more pleasant, it was never intended for that, and doesn't always interact seamlessly depending on the settings used. In fact the problem is with the recommended settings it isn't seamless while dashing, and may only be just so while not dashing within a limited window (I don't really understand the interactions so it may just as well be okay at any speed. I haven't run extensive tests)

So, what I've chosen to do is to fadeout the inertial effect where there is resistance. That seems like a pretty sane thing to do anyway. And helps to offer a bit of friction. And means it won't interfere with any extensions around wall impacts.

That said. The experience feels inadequate as is. I think I must come up with a new effect for this before I can release another patch.

PS: Earlier I'd already addressed the remaining issue around warping, but did not upload a patch.

As for going from jogging to walking... I am pretty sure that is a bug. Since there are 3 jogging gaits (by default) that converge into the lowest gait, the bug depends of which gait you are in when you stop jogging. For the recommended settings if you are in the upper gaits you actually speed up before the dash has decelerated.

Holey Moley:
Patch!

http://csv.swordofmoonlight.net/SomEx.dll/1.1.2.12.zip

This is a really fantastic patch...

There is a braking system for jogging/sprinting to walking transitions. It just makes sure you don't find yourself in the paradox of walking faster than dashing by not letting the speed exceed what was the high speed going into the brake.

And there is a new system for shoving off of the wall. Or to say what happens when you push into something and then let the stick go into neutral... that is for a keyboard just releasing the key, for a self-centering thumbstick just letting go. It's pretty dicey business but I haven't experienced any real problems with it. That said it can be hard to tell if the controls are acting up or not because SOM has a really unsteady framerate that (the "fps" in the F5 overlay are averaged and updated at a regular interval and only in integrals of 5 so not to be distracting)

This is the last patch addressing controls. I want to get back to the mainline work now. Hopefully that will eventually lead to a place where the framerate is no longer so unsteady.

I feel like the existing control features have been nitpicked as far as they can be for now. I think they are a nice compromise in terms of value for attention afforded them.

I am going to get the source code up for this release tomorrow, and work on the do_hit extension documentation in the wiki. Then move onto working on the monster attack descriptions and some other stuff around translation duties before deciding on what to get to next.

PS/Off-topic: One more thing I am going to take a look at is the activation radius for NPCs. I think it needs to be relative to the outer shape of the player so that it can clear a counter in order to get at a shop NPC (behind a counter) no matter what the shape setting is. It may already work that way, but I don't think so.

And speaking of shape. I just may look at implementing a squeeze system so that the shape won't get in the way of were the player can go. I like a nice big half meter radius myself, so it would be ideal if you could squeeze into tighter spots if necessary. Tighter than a meter across that is.

Both of these changes would greatly benefit the King's Field remake/sample.

Holey Moley:

Patch

Last patch (one post up) introduced a zero divide that is likely to be encountered when getting hit with do_hit. It will kill the player.

Holey Moley:

Important/unrelated Patch!

This patch is a must have to keep SOM_PRM from crashing when opening the NPC page.

I removed the page from some code because it didn't seem to be needed, but the only reason I can think that it wasn't needed may have been because I didn't have any NPCs setup for the project I was using for testing at the time.

(For some reason SOM_PRM reads back the contents of the profile menu when the page is first loaded. My guess is it has to do with the variable record sizes in the Enemy and NPC PARAM folder files. I thought maybe it was because the Enemy page has more than one page, but that doesn't seem to be the case)

Holey Moley:
EDITED: As luck would have it, I just noticed a related bug and re-uploaded the patch just now (exactly 2hrs have passed)

The related bug had to do with SOM_PRM doing the same thing as described in parentheses in the post above, only again on the second page with the attacks, so when changing to the sub page with attacks, the wrong attacks would be found the first time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version