Sword of Moonlight > Devs

EXIT: Unfinished Business

<< < (3/3)

Holey Moley:
FYI: Just uploaded a patch that fixes a feature that was circumvented by the warping handling added in this release.

The feature just kills you if you've been falling for more than 10 seconds. It's handy to authors since SOM doesn't always reset the game when you fall off of a map piece. I think it depends on if there are neighboring pieces and you pass below the "abyss" depth, which defaults to -10m I think.

What was going on is once you'd began falling at a great rate due to gravity it would appear to be a warp. So a check was added to see if you are moving at a speed great enough to look like a warp (currently an instantaneous move greater than 1 meter) and just assumes you are not warping if so, just so that the 10 second reset timeout can happen.

PS: What's interesting is even if a "Warp" event was detected at its source, so we knew for a fact you are warping, I wanted to leave the option available to authors to use a short less than 1 meter warp distance to line the player up exactly before triggering an animation for them to watch, or as a way to move the player along.

Holey Moley:
Yet Another PATCH

http://csv.swordofmoonlight.net/SomEx.dll/1.1.2.12.zip

Earlier today I uploaded new tool EXE files, and added English versions to the English language pack...

The reason was I changed a number of drop down menus so to not have scrollbars. I assumed, and I think rightly so, that that would mean the menus would display all of the items they hold. HOWEVER, it turned out that that was NOT the case. No, by Windows logic you have to use the arrow keys on the keyboard (mouse wheel won't even work) to find the well hidden items.

So! I had to add another patch that manually sets the heights of these menus so that they will not be cutoff.

The reason I did this is to make it easy to maintain language packs, since extensions may add things to these menus (as the previous release did) and it shouldn't be on language pack maintainers to deal with that, and it's too much work/error prone for SomEx to maintain a list of what menus do/don't need scrollbars.

Holey Moley:

--- Quote from: Holy Diver on April 16, 2014, 09:49:57 AM ---PS/Off-topic: One more thing I am going to take a look at is the activation radius for NPCs. I think it needs to be relative to the outer shape of the player so that it can clear a counter in order to get at a shop NPC (behind a counter) no matter what the shape setting is. It may already work that way, but I don't think so.
--- End quote ---

So I looked into this. It turned out that my KF sample project was just using a really ancient Ex.ini config file setup that still used _range instead of _radius for event activation.

I think this is still probably a good idea, but the default setting easily clears a counter. In fact, it's just about perfect. I think the reason SOM uses this distance for activation could've been a last second change to make it possible to talk to NPCs behind counters. Of course that could've also just been experience from developing KF games for all those years. But in a KF game for all we know the counters could've been part of the NPC model, since they were only used for that singular purpose.

While it's a good distance for talking to NPCs behind counters, its a preposterous distance for reaching out and touching things with your hands.

Holey Moley:
FYI: I just noticed that the "slip" effect that basically keeps you from hovering out over a ledge is broken... most likely by this release, particularly the part that changes up how the ceiling is interacted with.

I'll look into it tomorrow, hopefully nothing will stand in the way of restoring the effect. I've noticed this for a while actually but didn't realize what was happening since I was noticing it when fighting with the ceiling.

Strikeout: player_character_slip was disabled in the configuration file :doh: (same story as above)

Holey Moley:

Patch

http://csv.swordofmoonlight.net/SomEx.dll/1.1.2.12.zip

This patch addresses a debugging window that would popup in SOM_MAP reported by Arbalest, and a bad behavior in SOM_MAP in which if you opened the Maps menu and cancelled out (or similar menus in the Warp event setup dialogs) the last map in the menu would become the target for som_db.exe and mapcomp.exe (playtesting/conversion to 3D)

Also, as a reminder (since I don't see it mentioned in here) the monster PRF files and English language pack were updated a while back to include rewordings/translations for the attack descriptions that slipped past the release they belonged in:

http://swordofmoonlight.net/text/English/Neutral+Default.zip

For Japanese Update the DATA/ENEMY/PROF folder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version