simple machines forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Remember to make your own backup of posts before submitting.

Author Topic: King's Field "Ancient City" title screen  (Read 4223 times)

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holey Moley says,
« on: August 30, 2012, 02:43:39 AM »

I saw this (attached) for the first time today :eek:

I hope the organ theme wasn't butchered too :doh:

Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley has 2726 posts

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 02:56:41 AM »

PS: On a related subject. I was giving the SOTC HD remake a try this morning. And it featured this really obnoxious faux old English (thou art) that every US American port seems to have going on nowadays.

How long has this been going on? What compels localization staff to do this? I'm assuming it's the same dialogue as the original release since the Ico dialogue (what little there is) did not have any of this that I recall.

My original copy of SOTC was Chinese, with the option of Japanese or English subtitles, and the English subtitles were very good I think. None of this hokey nonsense ruining an all around well crafted game, that even has enough class to realize that the occupants of fantasy universes do not speak English!!

Speaking of which. I've always played games in Japanese until very recently (obviously the games I played as a young sprite were not Japanese) and my favorite thing about that is that I only partially understand it, so that the sub par writing that games almost always have is not inflicted upon me. Maybe Japanese games have brilliant writing, but somehow I doubt it! It also leaves a lot of room for interpretation (and its twin sister imagination)

When watching the opening of SOTC I almost had the feeling that it would've been a lot better if the writing was not subtitles but was instead just a narration telling the player what is going on.

Anyway faux old English is very bad. If you want to do real old English with subtitles more power to you, but this stuff needs to be stopped. Here's looking at you Demon's Souls :rainbow:

PPS: I thought the writing in Johnny Park's Wicklow demo was pretty solid. You don't usually see solid writing in video games for some reason. Though I am no authority because I have only played a few games in English in a long long time, and I am sure most of them were ports of Japanese games, which we can all expect will get little shrift in the script dept... even if they are highly anticipated games like SOTC.

Maybe we could make DIY games really good by making a random language generator that is more based on intonations. Of course not all games will take place in fantasy universes, but if a game does it should do like Ico and SOTC and go the tasty route.
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:51:06 AM »

Here is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKPRqnd9gyg&list=UUCODtTcd5M1JavPCOr_Uydg) a relatively big publicity treatment of KFIV (on the Extra Credits youtube.com channel)