Sword of Moonlight > Beginner and other Nonsense

atipblag.dat (ATI/AMD drivers misbehavior)

<< < (2/6) > >>

FlameScion:
I can see the models in the map editor, as well as the parameter editor and now it doesn't have that annoying message anymore so I assume it's not a Direct3D 9 error. There's no DMP file, I guess because the app itself doesn't crash, I just press the Playtest option and nothing happens. The application will still run and all the options would continue working except for the playtest.

EDIT: If the .exe that makes the engine start is SOM_RUN.exe, could it be related to that? I'm gonna try maybe permissions and such with it

Holey Moley:
Well that's probably because you haven't prepared your map. You're skipping the compile step (most likely, everyone seems to do this.)

But you said my itch.io demo didn't work for you? If it crashes there should be a DMP file. If there isn't then it's not even starting, but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work if you have a visual in SOM_PRM. Probably antivirus. I want to help but I can't really help with antivirus, it's a third party hosing your computer, not my problem. (I'm not saying it is, but that's my guess.)

Just unzip the ZIP into a folder in your user account's desktop to be sure you have access rights, and make sure you're double clicking the EXE and not the SOM file.

FlameScion:
Oh no, I'm compiling the map before I start the playtest and it's succesful at it, still scratching my head as of why it won't start. I'll try disabling the antivirus for a few minutes and see if that makes it start correctly, and no, I don't mean double-clicking the executable, just giving it admin permitions, though it didn't work either.

EDIT: I realized that I'm just being vague and horrible at expressing myself a bit (sorry, not native english speaker) so more or less I'll try to re-arrenge the events a bit:

- SOM_Main loads normally, I can select my project or start a new one without any problem. In the map editor and the parameter editor I can preview the 3D models of weapons, items, NPCs, etc correctly (thanks to the patch you sent me, the message about atipblag.dat no longer shows up). The map editor also compiles correctly.

-After compiling, wether I hit playtest in the map editor or the main menu, I get no response. Nothing never opens. With the Itch.io project you made something similar happens, because when I double-click KINGS FIELD II.exe nothing happens, despite them being in my desktop.

-I tried some things which I reverted after they didn't work, like right-clicking into SOM_RUN.exe properties and giving it admin rights or disabling Windows Defender and my Firewall shortly.

-There is a project from this forum I downloaded to see if it would work, "Moratheia". Not sure if it was from a previous version of SOM but that one did work without any problems.

Holey Moley:
1) SOM_RUN isn't what you think. Just leave that alone.

2) If Moratheia worked, are you using GAME.EXE because if so, that's using 2000 SOM like we discussed. If not, you should copy your latest SomEx.dll file into its EX/SYSTEM folder to get the best experience, since it's is quite old.

I can only say, do what I said about do_log/db_log_bardb_log_debug_bar and see if it makes a db.log file. I can't think of a reason you wouldn't have DMP files if it is crashing, assuming you're in the right folder.

You seem to have an issue just with the game playing component. Its log is db.log. And you should turn off do_log/db_log_bardb_log_debug_bar when you're done because the debug log on it will generate huge log files.

It doesn't do anything special that the tools don't do, so I'm drawing a blank. I would think it's your project, but since you say my project (KFII) isn't working either, it's very perplexing.

So, please keep trying to see what you can find out. Also tell me if Moratheia.exe works for you. And then tell me if it works with the current SomEx.dll. Thanks for helping.

BTW: The Moratheia project is really cool (it's a full length game) but it's not balanced for SomEx and it wasn't made for the do_aa extension, so if you don't like the cracks that appear because of that you should turn it off and use your GPU Control Panel's AA options. And I don't know what it's like with the GAME.EXE balance wise, but without you just have to kind of accept that it's basically a demo. The F3 function will keep you alive. The equipment stats don't matter very much since I faked some damage formulas to make it basically playable. It feels pretty good, especially the last dungeon, but I wish its monsters had more limited hit range on their attacks. Then it would feel like a really good/fair game with SomEx.

Holey Moley:
Double-reply:

--- Quote ----I tried some things which I reverted after they didn't work, like right-clicking into SOM_RUN.exe properties and giving it admin rights or disabling Windows Defender and my Firewall shortly.
--- End quote ---

Don't do anything like that :eek: it's just adding weird variables that can only cause complications. (Edited: You can do it with the GAME.EXE file if you have one, but it's not worth trying to keep a new project backward compatible with it.)

One thing I'm wondering is since you're playing with SOM_RUN you're going into the TOOL folder where you really shouldn't be poking around, so I'm wondering if you're starting the tools up correctly, but I think you must be.

When you "give admin rights" you're changing the user. It doesn't really give anything. And don't mess with any of the "compatibility" stuff either, that's for old, abandoned software, which you're clearly not using :)

Still, your case makes no sense to me, especially if you can't even get to a DMP file, and I expect you can log it, but that would mean it is starting and crashing if so. So I await feedback...

But fundamentally all of the programs are alike. So there's very little that can be happening, and nothing that would preclude starting (getting to the very first line of code in the program.) Evey program has the same dependencies, so if one crashed before starting they most likely all would. (It's possible it's crashing very early before the DMP system is set up.)

Check your Event Viewer logs for antivirus logs maybe I don't know. There might be something in there. It uses audio and stuff but that wouldn't kick in until well after the program has started and it wouldn't silently close itself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version