Sword of Moonlight > Beginner and other Nonsense

atipblag.dat (ATI/AMD drivers misbehavior)

(1/6) > >>

FlameScion:
So, it seems that I found a weird problem in which Sword of Moonlight launches this message several times when I try to enter the map editor or preview a 3D model:

Debugging: inside GetFileAttributesA
C:\windows\system32\atipblag.dat

I have to dismiss the message several times and then the program will continue, but it won't allow me to start the engine from the main menu, nor to test the map. Still not sure how I could proceed, I can't seem to find anything in regards to that file, but it could be related to something about 3D models, since the message is triggered whenever something related to the models is open?

Holey Moley:
I can add a fix for this (I could even disable this test in "release" builds) but FWIW it wouldn't happen if that file existed at that location, unless you have some kind of "sandbox" system that makes it inaccessible.

It's not a file SOM is interested in. Something is injecting itself into every program (probably AMD software) you run and it tries to read this file. I'd appreciate if you can confirm (somehow) it's normal for this file to be completely absent and I will add a a filter tomorrow and upload a patch.

To be clear I'm not suggesting you just make a 0 sized file there. That wouldn't keep others from having your bad experience and making posts here (don't want that) but I would like to know if your system isn't an exception. I understand if you have no idea. Thanks for reporting! It's always quiet around here.

FlameScion:
As an update should someone else run into this problem, it appears it's caused due to AMD's ATI Graphics Driver for certain graphics cards.

Also as an extra note, I decided to test some other things. Apparently I can't even run the King's Field 25th Anniversary project, which leads me to believe that my PC really just hates me and, most likely, the engine. What is weird is that before this I had no problems with the version of Sword of Moonlight launched back in 2011 at the time of Playtesting and such (Including the sample of KF1 Remake)

Holey Moley:
There's just not a lot of people testing it. Please try to figure out what's going wrong for you so it can be fixed.

There's two versions of SOM. There's the one From Software published in 2000 and this one that's updated. The former was developed for Windows 95. (And has hundreds of bugs and generally isn't worth using for anything today.)

If you have no clue what's happening you can turn on do_log and db_log_bardb_log_debug_bar=7 in the Ex.ini file and look at the log to get an idea of how far it gets. If your computer isn't like 15 years old whatever is wrong is probably minor like this problem you had.

EDITED: Can you see the model previews in the SOM_PRM tool? You seem to have everything working, so if not that can suggest you have an issue with Direct3D 9. (You said you can see models in SOM_MAP. Or did I mishear?)

Holey Moley:
BTW: You can look in %TEMP%\Swordofmoonlight.net for a DMP file after a crash and attach it here. It might tell me something about what's happening on your end. I can make a debug mode build for you to retry to get more information.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version