simple machines forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Remember to make your own backup of posts before submitting.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: PlayStation VR is on the way...  (Read 4834 times)

Holy Diver

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • About/Support Me/Sword of Moonlight
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holy Diver says,
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 05:40:08 AM »

Demo?

I've been able to improve the picture by a lot... because what I wrote about circles appearing as ovals made me think that squashing the ovals would interfere with the "chromatic aberration" correction function. So, I knew that I had to revisit it...

But I didn't do a deep dive. Instead I was suspicious about the values used by the PSVRToolbox project's video player, which is where I got the lens distortion coefficients from. Its values may be correct, under certain conditions, but under the current conditions (for SOM) I thought they should be identical for the horizontal and vertical values, instead of stretched vertically.

So what I did is to just use the horizontal values for the vertical. And voila! things are looking very good now. And most importantly the "aberration" is much better/lessened. The squashing is no longer done. This seems to just work (well) but the other fix would be to mess with having different FOV along the vertical and horizontal, which is common for VR, but is usually done with 4 FOV values, so that there is a different angle in all 4 directions going out from the center, which is a complication I'm trying to avoid for the time being. Although it may be more correct when the center is moved to adjust for the center of the eyes with respect to the lenses.

After this change, the FOV is much better behaved, and the new vertical FOV setting is considerably less, pegged at 94, which is a good thing IMO. It feels a lot more like running in real life, whereas with the overcorrected FOV I was using (105) it was pretty floaty and the sense of speed was a bit overwhelming. 94 gets closer to objects (limited by the clip radii) but is still very high compared to the recommended screen setting (about 35) or the absurd funhouse/original setting of 50.

I'm still very disappointed about the color. It looks alright in bright games. But in Moratheia it's extremely washed out. What's weird about Moratheia is it generally looks great with the video control panel's contrast ratcheted up very high (though I don't think its meaning of contrast is the standard one.)

I'm wondering if there is no gamma component in VR mode, and if so, if it would respond to regular monitor commands or not. The trouble is that there is no instruction manual for the PlayStation VR, so you never know if you're missing some vital clue. I do know however that the color is generally messed up, because it's easy to see that the home-theater mode is attempting to apply color corrections of its own. I just don't understand why the difference is so dramatic, or what kind of RGB level corrections could address the washed out appearance, if any. (I'm thinking that if the set has a gamma table that it is maybe not initially set up when switched into the purist "VR" mode.)

P.S. Anyway, I'm considering uploading a demo (odd) release, also to demonstrate free-look. Another problem with free-look is it's pretty blurry compared to looking around with the controller. I think this is "judder" that is a classic VR problem. But I don't know if home-theater mode is less blurry because it's upconverting the input frame-rate to a higher frame-rate, or if the PSVR has a commonly touted feature that moves the picture around relative to head movements at a higher frame rate than the input one... and if it does have such a feature, it seems to not be enabled if so.

Holy Diver

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
Holy Diver says,
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 12:28:16 AM »

The action in this thread has moved over to the current release blog post's forum topic for some weeks now...

VR patches, almost daily: http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/bbs2/index.php?topic=268.0

Sticky VR how-to: http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/bbs2/index.php?topic=284.0

The main takeaway is it's gotten a lot better, and now doesn't really cause sickness, and the tracking has gotten a lot better, so that a camera is not necessarily essential. Unfortunately the tracking is up and down from patch to patch because it's a little at odds with sensor fidelity enhancements, because of visual effects. Eventually the two will be decoupled somehow. Then it can be the best of both worlds.

Holy Diver

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
Holy Diver says,
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 11:38:50 AM »

The next patch/release has the anti-drift setting restored, which I regret disabling in favor of a stable picture. The stable picture now works with anti-drift side-by-side, so that the stable one is used when your head is still, but is dragged along by the anti-drift drift setting if you move even a little (technically if the models diverge they converge on the anti-drift model.)

This works well enough for play. Every once in a while it's necessary to recenter, but it's less from drift than the odd anomaly, and it's usually only because things feel a little off. Most of the time it's hard to say if there is drift or if your head is just listing this way or that. I like to move my head aggressively so that I don't have to think about if it's straight or not.

With the hybrid system it's possible to use slightly lower/higher settings. Lower produces a stable picture, whereas higher (up to a point) seems to improve the estimation of where your head really is looking, especially over long periods of time.

In theory, the long drift problem can be solved with position tracking, which I've discovered a new lead on here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0cDhh7qmwY) and I am hopeful about this bearing fruit. As far as PSVR on PC it's cutting edge.

Today I also looked into trying to change the PSVR display settings, since they are really bad, via regular monitor settings. I had no luck, but at least now I know it's unlikely to ever work. There might yet be lower-level things worth trying, but I'm not optimistic.

I also increased the size of the mask to prevent bleeding between the to eyes, that could be seen out of the corner of your eye. It became especially apparent with KF2's lighthouse. It might also be more visible because of the color transformation function I'm using with KF2. The bleeding comes from the "chromatic aberration" correction on the furthest reaches. Basically the thing on the left of the right eye bleeds over into the right of the left eye, and vice versa... although for some reason it definitely seemed like the right was bleeding into the left much more.... which is something I should probably go back and investigate (since it suggests that something might be off center.)

I've also reduced the 3D separation effect for the time being. I think it's implemented correctly, however KF2's green caves were looked very wrong. The ceilings especially looked like flat teeth instead of upside down pyramids. I don't know what to make of this. In general the 3D looks wrong, on all settings. I think more and more it's because the prevailing thought is to not try to converge the eyes, but to instead act as if they are looking off into the distance, or straight ahead into infinity. I'm thinking that is not good, and that I should be looking at choosing something to look at instead. (edited: those green caves have a "Magic Eye" effect with 3D on; so if nothing else, limiting the separation helps to reduce this effect... further evidence that looking straight into the distance is wrongheaded, because it's exactly how Magic Eye images work!)

Off-topic/PS: I've noticed something funny about SOM for the first time. It seems that when it climbs over something, it normally does so gradually. However, when things are only 1/4m tall, or some height I don't know, it seems to immediately go to that height, without any graduation...

If this is right, it makes for choppy climbing. I've been trying to make sense of running on stairs, and why it was so unpleasant, until I finally discovered this. I don't know if it is the cause, but it's something that should be corrected nevertheless. I've made a note to get to the bottom of it ASAP.

Holy Diver

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
Holy Diver says,
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 10:46:02 PM »

For the record there's a new demo here (http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/bbs2/index.php?topic=286.0) that is King's Field II with VR updates.

I've been trying to improve depth cues in VR. I think feeling like a little kid on the ground is actually how it should be. So I'm going to back to using the actual pupil distance for the scene in the next release. Even though I don't like it myself. It can be lowered down...

I'm trying to figure out something about skewing the matrix that from I'm told is supposed to be done if your eyes don't match the lenses. But I am not finding enough information on the subject, and I cannot make decisions based on my own experience because my eyes are within a millimeter of the lenses...

As for the floor feeling like you are sitting on chair maybe (or short like a child) my reason for finally accepting it, is if I close one eye, and vice versa, to see what the parallax is like, it looks if anything as-if it's too far a way. (CORRECTION: Oops, wrote "not far enough away.")

I'm thinking that the reason is, the ground is too spare, and also I think having a body double to use as a reference would make a big difference. I find that standing near an NPC helps a lot to get a sense of real scale. It seems to me like it's close enough, if not precisely correct.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:29:26 AM by Holy Diver »

Holy Diver has 2452 posts

Holy Diver

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
Holy Diver says,
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2018, 12:38:34 AM »

Oops, I said the opposite of what I meant in the last post.

ANYWAY I'm right now not working on SOM. Off-topic, but I may not post anything for a while, so just FWIW I made a Patreon page for King's Field II the other day here (https://www.patreon.com/posts/kings-field-ii-23273769)

I think I updated it to include some fixes and a new feature for looking up and down that can see over ledges. It's pretty cool.

For a few days now I've been getting back into COLLADA-DOM work (https://sourceforge.net/p/collada-dom/discussion/531263/thread/6445b0224b/) which I'm seeing through before I return to SOM.

P.S. Truly random sharing... I recently learned I'm pretty different from most people because of a crazy thing called "aphantasia" that you can find videos about on YouTube. It's apparently why my memory fades quickly, and I don't hold grudges long, since I can't remember anything anyone's ever done to me for long. Yesterday I struck up a discussion here (https://www.reddit.com/r/Aphantasia/comments/a5jwxz/unknown_until_2015_how/) because what I find most strange about the subject is that no one ever talks about its opposite (phantasia?) to each other, even though it's about the strangest thing people do. Or maybe no one has ever talked about it... or even thought about it. It seems to be the opposite of what meditation is, or a fog in your mind. True it has some benefits, but it seems easy to think of a lot of downsides that it could have. Some may even be profound.

Holy Diver

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
Holy Diver says,
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 06:54:03 PM »

Today I got the PSVRTracker project to do the necessary network (UDP) communications to replace the defunct PSVRToolbox project:

https://github.com/HipsterSloth/PSVRTracker/commit/a5b38ba

Hopefully cameras are coming along. I haven't personally dug into the camera code. But the algorithm we have right now is in no way going to cut it. So it's a back to the drawing board situation.

Now that I can use PSVRTracker with SOM I can reasonably see if the camera is cutting it. That's kind of a prerequisite for doing anything.

EDITED: BTW, a while back I got to do tests with a Nolo kit (http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/bbs2/index.php?topic=296.0) that let me do full tracking without any cameras. It was an interesting experience, but not as precise as using the instruments inside the PSVR set. I will have to combine them. Though it would be a good option to be able to turn off the PSVR set to free up bandwidth on the USB bus. VR can be a problem because it requires so many USB devices. The USB data is really super precise... it's like 2000 samples per second I think. In comparison a 60hz frame rate is 60 samples per second.

Holy Diver

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
Holy Diver says,
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2020, 04:36:50 PM »

Late 2020

So I finally connected my PSVR to a PS4, and then eventually unplugged it and reconnected it to my work PC. It turns out at least the color changes after the PS4 updates its firmware.

I observed a purple filter in games on the PS4, but I need to follow-up because I just looked at a cinema mode screen in ZOE that isn't the same as true VR mode. I took some other screenshots (the filter is in the screenshots) but I haven't logged into Sony's site to retrieve them. The filter is for the PSVR screen. So I've disabled the filter I'd developed in the meantime (in SomEx.dll) even though I think mine was better, although I haven't yet tried Sony's in Moratheia, so it may be better all around.

I also had a brightness adjustment, that I've disabled as well. Just a minute ago.

Finally, it could be my imagination, but for some reason everything in the game looks like it's really up in my face. I don't remember having that feeling of everything being close to my face. And I remember the last time I tried it the kracken monsters in my KF2 project they didn't feel right, they felt kind of distorted, but I don't know, that might be true to life since they really are big monsters.

But for whatever reason last night when I was testing the firmware updated PSVR last night (I recently added mipmap_pixel_art_power_of_two and do_dither2 extensions that my project is going to use) the krackens felt pretty much just like they do on a monitor. So I don't know what to make of that. Maybe the updated (or initialized) set does something to scale the picture differently to feel analogous to monitor play or maybe it was just in a bad state with the factory firmware... or maybe I'm just making this part up... but I tend to trust my instincts, and this doesn't seem like a very subtle change to how I remember it. I had done some tests with PSVR not long ago when I upgraded the do_aa extension to work inside of textures (for colorkey features.)

So, this is just an update, and if anyone actually used their PSVR I apologize for the purple filter since it would have been stacked on top of Sony's purple filter. I think having a PSVR without a PSVR is unusual except for VR developers, and even in that case, I wonder if I'm completely unique in that regard. I don't think buying a PSVR for VR development is so strange, but I suspect that and not buying a PS4--for completely unrelated reasons--is what seems even more unlikely.)

P.S. The binocular vision problems I had remain and the black edge of the screen (easier to see with glasses in the way) is unchanged. The world seems foreshortened, noticeable when jumping and looking at the ground. I'm not sure if it's real or an optical illusion because VR isn't realistic. I've all but given up trying to fix it, but maybe there's a way. Increasing the distance between the eyes (from cyclops, not default) just makes the foreshortening worse, until you're face is practiacally on the ground. I wonder if seeing legs would fix the problem for the ground, basically without true vision maybe more distance cues are needed. But that wouldn't solve the general sense of feeling foreshortened.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 04:48:31 PM by Holy Diver »

Holy Diver has 2452 posts
Pages: 1 [2]