simple machines forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Remember to make your own backup of posts before submitting.

Author Topic: EXIT: Maps and menus and items, oh my!  (Read 4054 times)

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holey Moley says,
« on: December 15, 2017, 01:34:16 AM »

I’m presently dividing my time between Sword of Moonlight and finishing a rewrite of the COLLADA-DOM library that began at Sony. A month ago (30 days or so) I took a break from the other project and so — of course — returned to this one. I never got around to complementing the previous release as I’d intended to do. I usually ease back into this work by taking on smaller, more varied appetizers before I settle in for a main course. I do a few of these more substantial jobs every year.

This blog-post is about a new release; The substance of which is hard to categorize. It came about as a surprise; In short, I bit off more than I could chew.

Currently I’m postponing the major finishing touch in order to return to the other project for a time. I think this release grew from my experience having explored the Moratheia 2.1 demonstration in the months prior. I experienced some difficulties with it that I thought ought to be addressed. This release addresses two areas of concern.

One of these two is how to better facilitate access to “items” that are buried deep inside menus. To ease this process this release remembers and returns to the place where a menu is left off. This way it’s more practical to do the same things over and over again. One class of “item” for which this is often required is a map of a game’s surroundings. I actually began working on this, partly out of curiosity, because I’ve never before surveyed Sword of Moonlight’s menus system. I felt it was high time to do so. This was unavoidable, and is why this release ultimately took so long to conclude itself.

In addition to saving places within menus, it’s now possible to work backward from the top of the itemized menus, and vice versa. And what really took much longer than anticipated is a new system for changing the ordering of items for these menus. It was when I began toying with this idea I realized what I’d gotten myself into. Still, it’s an especially important development, since the natural ordering for most projects is haphazard at best, and so unacceptable as finished product. The full plan called for end-users to be able to rearrange the ordering from inside the games’ menu, in order to easily accommodate personal preference.

The other of these two is not really for end-users, but is instead a real-time map display system for developers to use. But is also available to end-users who find themselves in a pinch. When we make a virtual world it’s difficult to supplement our natural sense of direction. In the early days of development a guide such as a map is essential. One interesting development to come of this is, map in hand, it was instantly more expedient to “click” the map in order to go anywhere, as opposed to navigating by it.

As always, several original bugs were encountered, and along with previously unreachable bugs (although exceedingly nitpicking nowadays) have been quashed. There are many details that will be elaborated upon in the linked to forums posts, very shortly.

Use SVN Update to update, and the SOM updater program will appear and want to update SomEx.dll to version 1.2.1.10 (http://csv.swordofmoonlight.net/SomEx.dll/1.2.1.10.zip)

I will have more to say later (of course) but right now I want to find out if having "&" in the title is a problem for the forum link :hearton:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 08:08:06 PM by Holy Diver »
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley has 2726 posts

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 01:03:39 AM »

http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/bbs2/index.php?topic=269.0 Replies 0 to #10 is the development log for this release.

Most of this release ended getting patched into the prior release owing to bugs and later bugs exclusive to the patches since I didn't make an effort to disable many new features in the later patches.

Aside from some odd improvements to SOM_MAP (which I might try to recount, I don't know) this release focuses on the player component, namely som_db.exe.

1) All menus (except for Yes/No ones) remember their previous settings. For items the actual item is remembered. When a game is loaded the Save Game menu highlights that game. (I think there must be a bug when a new save game is made, since this will cause the Load game menu to shift. I will get around to this.) The first loaded game highlights the game's equipment, but subsequent loads do not.

2) Pressing Up from the top of an item menu (items/magic) goes to the bottom of the menu, and vice versa.

3) There are up to 10 fixes for old bugs. I won't try to recount them all. Most notably, the square parts of the menus are not stretched according to the resolution setting. While this isn't a bug per se, it distorts these images.

4) The inventory screen (menu) now includes "magics" and so they can be hidden from the two magic menus to reduce scrolling tedium. There's a new icon for them, which conveniently fits into the last corner of the DATA/MENU folder's icon BMP file. Saving this requires that there is an unnamed (deleted/unused) Shop in SOM_PRM's list.

5) There's a system for sorting items and magics. It's currently read-only, meaning that it must be typed by hand into the INI file. It goes in the [config/itemCfg] section. Details are in the above link. A finished game will want to use this.

6) In the inventory screen, I've changed how the items scroll when one is removed to appear more natural. The same change applies to the other odd cases where items are removed (a map it used up, or a shop sells-out, or when selling an item to a shop, the inventory runs out of it. These are rare occasions. There were bugs in these cases, one where the graphic doesn't change, and another where the selection ends up beyond the last item.)

7) In shops, items that don't have descriptions in SOM_PRM will no longer appear in the "appraiser" shop. (I can't recall what the original SOM_PRM calls these.) If such a shop sets the price to 0 it doesn't say "0G" or whatever the currency symbol is.

8) Alt+Alt+M pulls up a real-time map. Details about how this works are in the development blog link above. The first map uses the icons file in the DATA/MENU folder. Keep pressing M to select one of the three possible pictorial maps, or use Shift+M to go  backward among them. When the "mouse" is over a map tile it will change to a hand icon that can interact with the map. If the mouse is controlling the PC then its wheel must be scrolled to get it back, and the direction can depend on if it's locked in. Alternatively Alt or F10 can be pressed, but they do not show the hand icon. (Be careful not to press-and-release Alt+Alt since this currently turns on/off Som2k emulation mode.)

This map can be dragged or enlarged or double right-clicked to make it half transparent. Left-clicking/dragging "teleports."

If a map warp (level change) makes the map inaccessible, then in order to get it back, hold Alt+Alt and press M twice to bring it back. (When its first shown it's made to fit within the boundary of the display settings.)
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 07:21:50 AM »

PATCH

http://csv.swordofmoonlight.net/SomEx.dll/1.2.1.10.zip

I bungled the new sorted magic PRM table by using the SOM_SYS index to look up the PRM records. This is a big deal. Must patch. Can't understand how this went unnoticed. It happened because of some changes I made.

I also tried to make the Load Game menu adjust its selection after a new save file is created (since that inserts an item to its menu) but I did not test the fix. It should work, but if not I will fix it later.

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 03:08:49 AM »

PATCH #2

There's another bug in shops. The shops have their tables overwritten with a sorted list of items, but without this patch the rows in the tables beyond that number are not "zeroed" out and this causes extra/erroneous items to appear in shops. (EDITED: The sorted list is compact, whereas the original item table may be sparse. This applies to games whether or not the sort feature is utilized.)

Sorry. Good thing I'm fooling around in games instead of doing the work I'm supposed to be doing I guess.

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 07:31:17 AM »

NO BIG DEAL but here (https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/958393-sword-of-moonlight-kings-field-making-tool/76121619) is the 2018 GameFAQs report, that I do at the end of the year, every year. It's a condensed report on the previous year.

(I'm thinking GameFAQs is probably the most visible place to find information on SOM.)

EDITED: I've also made an appeal to recategorize King's Field on GameFAQS (https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/76121693)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 07:48:49 AM by Holy Diver »

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 08:53:31 AM »

PATCH #3

Fix for crash when choosing an item to BUY.

(I uh, changed a figure in the code but wrote it to the wrong address by 1 byte. I usually double-check these things. Must have neglected to in this case.)

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 09:50:25 AM »

Minor patching...

For the record, there's a new patch because a problem was discovered with standalone games (new Moratheia demo in the works) where the InstDir leaked into the game so that it was finding files that might be in the installation environment.

(Also, a few days ago I found a problem with the Equip screen showing the wrong magic if the order of the magics are changed. Probably not one will have noticed this.)

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 08:06:07 PM »

Vanity patching...

For tools I added a thing so grouping boxes look for the next element to see if it is "transparent" and fill it in if so. This is for boxes that have things obscuring their header bar....

I think that this didn't used to be necessary, but I've been seeing glitches on Windows 10 of late. Language packages that do this typically put a drop down box in the title area, or I sometimes use labels with extra space in them and stick a bar in the empty space to continue the outline (like I broke up the 3 physical and 5 magical elements this way, but really I was using the header in this case to suggest names for the one letter symbols; like a legend.)

P.S. These elements virtually always display correctly when a window is first filled in, but Windows has lots of rogue (undisciplined) paint jobs happening all of the time, usually as a result of partial fills, interactions, or keyboard/mouse mode switching.