simple machines forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Remember to make your own backup of posts before submitting.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: EXIT: Escape from Sword of Moonlight  (Read 12923 times)

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2017, 02:55:15 AM »

:sweatdrop: Patch? (At this rate the next release is going to be the same as the last release. Sorry.)

More menu stuff: Mainly I forgot that SELL items can get sold-out too (by selling all your items) and there's a bad bug I made that's supposed to check an equip slot for an item, for SELL eligibility, but it was using the slot number instead of the item.

THERE ARE GOOD FIXES for classic bugs in this patch. Some odd things like when an item is sold-out either when selling or buying or both the sold-out item's graphic would remain in place of the newly highlighted item's, and when a map is used-up (very unlikely there's such an item) if last in the inventory the highlight would remain where the map item had been--at the end. (All other kinds of items are handled outside of the menu. Probably using a map as a key/event trigger is impossible.)

On top of this, I've now formalized how scrolling works when items are removed from lists, so to be more pleasant than the old way of moving items above the newly selected item down, to having the ones below move up. (I think this is just how people expect lists to scroll. And the original way is just weird.)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 03:07:41 AM by Holy Diver »
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley has 2726 posts

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2017, 02:01:40 AM »

Last Patch (surely)

http://csv.swordofmoonlight.net/SomEx.dll/1.2.1.8.zip

There's a tripping glitch when walking off half meter ledges at full speed. I don't know how I only just now spotted this. I'm wondering if it is legit or an error I introduced with some of the late clipping work around running on slopes. (EDITED: By "tripping" I mean fall once--briefly--then fall again--for real.)

This patch attempts to address it by softening the threshold for climbing onto a ledge...

The trouble is when coming down off the ledge, technically the ledge is being touched, because the horizontal and vertical clipping radii are actually different sizes. This touch makes the ledge want to be climbed onto even while it's being moved away from (this can be improved later by considering the direction of the touching relative to the heading.)

This logic used to use such a threshold prior to this release. What's funny is it doesn't seem to happen at any other speed. The threshold I chose is pretty arbitrary... just enough to not glitch so to make climbing as sensitive as can be. Trouble is I don't know how it will behave with a different walking speed.

Maybe it's not such a bad fix. I was worried that it would make the new fall recovery function less sensitive. It does I think, but it still works, and it moves more slowly, which is maybe more realistic for falling down and pulling yourself back up.

P.S. As for the menu stuff that found its way into this release via patches, it's all more or less complete. The wraparound works with the controller now. I've completed all of my objectives for the next release, however the reordering function and magics in the inventory are disabled in this patch.

I would just do a demo until I can complete the interactive inventory, except it's been a long time since this latest release, and I want to work on COLLADA-DOM stuff and get something up here before New Years.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:35:53 AM by Holy Diver »
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley has 2726 posts
Pages: 1 2 [3]