simple machines forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Remember to make your own backup of posts before submitting.

Author Topic: Windows 10 Anniversary Update  (Read 3769 times)

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holey Moley says,
« on: November 27, 2016, 12:47:04 AM »

My computer just updated itself to what I think is the "Windows 10 Anniversary Update" but I don't know for certain.

The window title bars are colorized now, although I wish there was a way to customize them, I hope it fixes some of the display issues with the old b/w bars.

There are many icons on my computer that won't display in one context or another, including Sword of Moonlight's. When I try to set the icon, the icon subsystem says it cannot find these files. As if they don't exist. Other applications have icons that display in the desktop when enabled, but not in the taskbar...

I assume these are issues that Microsoft will notice and fix, but on the other hand, I doubt I am an early adopter of this update. It could spell long term issues for "portable" applications??? There were previously problems with icons on network locations. These new issues apply to local disks as well.

Strikeout: after a few hours the icons started coming back, and would appear if the application is run. I have to restart now to apply registry changes to the keyboard map. I'm hoping the icons are not missing again after...

Sword of Moonlight was removed from Programs Menu. I had to run the Start.bat script to get it back. I worry how many of my applications I'll forget existed, or won't be able to easily located. Kind of a hassle.

The program menu icons are displayed. And running applications have their icons displayed.

On the plus side, I am surprised that the Rich Text editor actually received a fix for the bug that I brought to the teams attention. Windows 8 and up had been forcing underlines under hyperlinks with friendly text titles. This is something that long bugged me in the new script editor. I just had to live with the underlines. But now it looks the way it's supposed to look on Windows 10, after this update :updown:

I wouldn't have been surprised if that glitch got fixed. I just didn't think it would ever be backported to the library modules that regular applications use; because the Rich Text editor is more of a component of Microsoft Office or something, that tends to see updates there, but not elsewhere.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:02:33 AM by Holy Diver »
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley has 2726 posts

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 01:03:52 AM »

Edited: The icon problem persists after restart. One solution online is to change the icon, and then change it back. That would be a cinch, except in most cases the path is impossible to copy by hand, and copy/paste is disabled! It does work though. It fixed the SOM icon.

What's been removed is the ability to freely create shortcuts around the taskbar. I think what's broken is anything that uses that framework. Drag/dropping from the new programs menu still works (everything else doesn't) but it creates the broken/blank icons. Go Microsoft!

EDITED: What did work, was doing Open File Location, and then dragging those shortcuts back onto the taskbar, creating a second one with a (2) on the end. That's the same effect as resetting the icon, except gets around the disabled copy/paste problem. After that, restart, remove the original shortcuts, and rename the new ones without (2) and Voila! Microsoft: inspiring confidence since before you were born.

EDITED: Another issue I had was black text in the titlebar. I got the idea from this (https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/51n49v/title_bar_color_locked_after_anniversary_update/) that the blue/black titlebar I got may not even match the desktop color, but just happened to be close, since I had been using the auto-color based on background image setting (which is the koi fish from Windows Vista--that just happens to be very Sword of Moonlight colored when auto colored--I guess I've been saving this background all of these years! Moving it from one install/upgrade to the next.)

So I chose a manual color that is darker, but I can hardly tell the difference, and the titlebars are now the same color, with white text, like everything else, which is an improvement, except the font in the title bar is very effete compared to everywhere else, and so still difficult to read; as was the black on blue, since there wasn't enough contrast... made funnier still by the blue apparently being a stock color, as can be seen in the image attached to that link (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9styioku9OLc19ac2RCYkJsMW8/view)

I actually really liked the titlebar text in the middle of the window from Windows 8, even though I never had a computer of my own with 8. It seemed more classy and not shunted out of the way--I don't know why Microsoft is so afraid to give users freedom to make minor tweaks to these things.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:40:45 AM by Holy Diver »
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley has 2726 posts