simple machines forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Remember to make your own backup of posts before submitting.

Author Topic: STICKY: Sick Days  (Read 2590 times)

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holey Moley says,
« on: January 14, 2015, 06:31:22 PM »

I am rarely sick if ever, but whenever I go on a grocery run or anything I will spend the day in town, and the next day if I am not feeling bad I will at least be inexplicably tired. I say that the time in town wears me out, but I think the tired symptom is more likely just a notch below bad feels, or maybe just baseline what it feels like when the immune system is on red alert.

I usually power through these days, but not this time. Since turning in I've slept at least 14 hours, including a 2hr nap, and laid in bed for probably 4hrs or so. Couldn't eat breakfast and so had some chicken noodle flavored ramen and 7up instead. But worst of all has been the constant headache. It's probably actually a fever, I can't tell if the ibuprofen is working or not and realized today that I've never owned a thermometer in my life.

I'm guessing this will be the usual 24hr ordeal, but I'm writing really just to recommend Brian Eno's Apollo if you ever have to suffer through a longterm headache. I began thinking after waking from my nap (I didn't think I would be able to stand to look at a screen or listen to anything today) what I could listen to that would not exacerbate my headache. Not because I'm the kind of person that can't handle silence (I'm not) but because I needed something to distract myself from fixating on the headache itself...

I thought probably it had to be found in Brian's catalog. He actually has an album called "music for thinking" so I was like, he really should make a "music for aching" album. I thought about the various albums and only Apollo seemed worth trying (edited: Harold Budd is probably a good place too look too but I don't know his ambient albums by memory. I will probably try his collaborations with BE later. I think this is the first time I've ever _actually_ listened to Brian as purely ambient mood setting music, which was supposedly the idea behind pioneering ambient as not-muzak musical genre)

I think Brian made Apollo for a documentary on the space program. I've never seen the documentary but I assume it was completed. It's pretty spacey, like empty quiet desolate weightless spacey, but also seems to have been inspired by country western which is always very smooth on the album. The country western motif I think works well in space but was also probably inspired by the cowboy image of astronauts and the US space program with its sites usually in the southern states (edited: Daniel Lanois and Brian's brother are also accredited for Apollo)

I am making this thread Sticky so anybody who is hard at work everyday on behalf of SOM or on a highly visible SOM game project can use it to let everyone know they are/were out of commission, and share tips and stories too.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 06:58:20 PM by Holy Diver »
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley has 2726 posts