simple machines forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Remember to make your own backup of posts before submitting.

Author Topic: Jumping in video games  (Read 1667 times)

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holey Moley says,
« on: October 09, 2014, 10:18:16 PM »

Here is a video on jumping in games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2oV2DQ2dEA&list=UUr_2H8pPitVJ85bmpLwFUyQ

I just want to add, that I think games have gotten jumping spectacularly wrong. Especially in games which feature fighting, as most games do.

If you are going to fight effectively you have to constantly jump. Games don't capture that. The only way to move and swing something like a sword or a punch at the same time is to jump. If you don't jump you must stand stock-still, or you will spectacularly flub your swing. Games today either don't let you move freely while fighting, or just have you be disembodied arms, glossing over all of the finer points, and not even animating the jumping that would be required to perform the actions on screen.

And then there is the straightup pounce attack. While pouncing your body actually gets to rest, letting gravity do all the work. You basically trade off the freedom to move out of the way for the freedom of working your legs, and guarantee that you don't trip or have your legs cut out from under yourself.

So in combat games, jumping should be a core function. Everything you know about games is wrong. The people who make them don't have the slightest idea how to make a good game. That's why there's never been a game that is truly worthy of anyone's time (ie. people generally don't know what they are doing, especially in 3D) and why despite being very lucrative, games don't hold a candle to any other communication medium. Much less all of the other mediums collectively.
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley has 2726 posts