simple machines forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Remember to make your own backup of posts before submitting.

Author Topic: Sebastiane 1976 on Netflix  (Read 1865 times)

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holey Moley says,
« on: September 09, 2014, 08:17:58 AM »

Just when you think life seems to have no more surprises up its sleeve I've found a new favorite movie of all time tonight :thumbsup:

And what's more it's perfectly King's Field as far as I am concerned. It's definitely an esthetic to aspire toward.

I discovered it on a lark, because I was reading about The Tempest the other day on Wikipedia. I learned about a film maker I was not familiar with and just on a lark I saw if there was anything streaming on Netflix by him.

What I'd seen little of The Tempest on Youtube did not prepare me for Sebastiane. From the get go I thought, well the least I can say for this is it can be compared to Fellini and that cannot be read any other way than a compliment.

But it even surpasses Fellini. It is most reminiscent of Satyricon but is more natural, still it seems a study. It is the most impressive bible motif by far. The opening credits will grab you and not let you go until the end. And there is reason for that because the soundtrack is done by Brian Eno much to my surprise. And the choreography by Lindsay Kemp. Whether just the opening sequence, or throughout is a good question.

This is 1976, Brian Eno is at the top of his game, and Kemp is considered the top. Both men are the cream of her majesty's isle. Imagine the look on my face when this unknown director to me is accompanied in the credits by contemporaries the likes of these.

I am honestly confused as to why this is billed as a homoerotic gay flick. It's not in the slightest. There is much confusion in the general population when it comes to the appraisal of master class art. If Sebastiane is homoerotic then every man is too. It's probably unrealistic to surpass this film. If you are a Christian then believe that the best film ever happened to be made is all part of the master plan. The Wikipedia article says Sebastian in the film is not a christian but devoted to a very proto-christian like cult of Apollo (The other men assume he is a christian.) I didn't catch that totally but it does seem to make more sense than the other way around.

Anyway, check it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastiane
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Sebastiane/70009729
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:32:58 AM by Holy Diver »
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley has 2726 posts