simple machines forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Remember to make your own backup of posts before submitting.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: STICKY: Random News  (Read 24574 times)

Holy Diver

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • About/Support Me/Sword of Moonlight
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holy Diver says,
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2020, 03:50:13 AM »

I thought I could find a topic/thread for this post, but alas no... for the record yesterday I FINALLY worked on a strategy to eliminate false positives from the jumping system!

It seems like an improvement. This is actually important but something I kept thinking to myself I would get around to one day or another and never would.

The jumping system has been one of those incomplete things that I would immediately fix if I got wind of someone about to publish a game with SOM. But since nobody has it's not been a huge priority. False positives (accidental jumps) is one of those things that players would be right to not put up with.

How the changes work is to try to tell when the thumb stick is being let go of as opposed to when it's just being moved through the center manually. To do this there is a delay after the jump is inputted to wait and see if the stick lands in the center or crosses over it. This means the jump doesn't happen immediately.

It's programmed to wait 33ms more right now. Anything longer than this is probably going to feel weird (unresponsive, jerky, etc.) so I wasn't sure at first if this strategy would work or not.

I can move the stick around wildly while pressing the dashing button down and releasing it without ever jumping, but I think there is still a chance for unwanted jumps, just a very small one. My attitude toward accidents in games has always been that we have accidents IRL too and so we should embrace them in games and look at them as an opportunity to send us down a different path or just make things interesting from time to time. Hopefully you don't jump to your death, in which case I wish SOM had better features for recovering from that scenario, meaning that in time I will program in more and more safety net features. But right now you just have to suck it up.

EDITED: Big things I still need to do for jumping is to take a look at trigger (analog) buttons since I only added good support for them this year and they're not currently as satisfying for jump inputs as a regular (digital) button, and I think that the direction of the jump should be considering the raw input from the controller somehow instead of using the gait system, which has very low resolution by comparison (between 3 or 4 bits technically speaking.) It will be much better by the end of the year.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 04:10:16 AM by Holy Diver »

Holy Diver has 2450 posts

Holy Diver

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • About/Support Me/Sword of Moonlight
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holy Diver says,
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2020, 03:14:35 AM »

Alt+Alt+V :ssh:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]