simple machines forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Remember to make your own backup of posts before submitting.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Moratheia  (Read 6689 times)

Holy Diver

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • About/Support Me/Sword of Moonlight
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holy Diver says,
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 08:10:40 PM »

Dark as ever :cool:

Holy Diver

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
Holy Diver says,
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2019, 05:36:16 AM »

Two of Verdite's music sharing accounts I found today while putting Moratheia into search engines:

https://soundcloud.com/moratheia
https://soundcloud.com/rathmor

I recognize some tracks from the demo here. I feel like it's been a long time since I heard of Moratheia last, but it looks like the last contact was July of this year, so it's not really that long ago. I haven't got much done myself (without a day job) in the same amount of time. Or at least not that I can recall or not that I can show for myself.

Holy Diver

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
Holy Diver says,
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 03:03:49 PM »

Here's an old/new shot from the "Moratheia 2.1" demo. I think this is my favorite shot in a SOM game so far. It's very cinematic/photogenic. I usually criticize Ben's game for being too dark, because I can't see it on my monitor, but I don't know if he's intentionally aiming for these kinds of deep dark scenes or if it's just by accident this scene turns out this way. It's the first house you're likely to visit in this demo.

I'm resharing it to show off a new do_sharp effect, that adds a degree of hitherto unseen sharpness that rivals commercial games that use oppressive image-based antialiasing techniques (that kill your frame rate and won't work on budget systems.) The effect is lost more to still images than the old one. The full effect must be seen in motion.

The new technique is stupidly simple, it just replaces one of the halftone images with an unfiltered image. That's why you see halos that can be up to two pixels. But in motion they are changing every frame and your eye blends them together so you don't seem them as halos.

It looks good enough in game to be worth ditching the old double half-tone image that was too blurry. You can see it in some of the screenshots here, except many of them are dithered shots. I used to really like the dithered/stippled effect, but the new effects have come a long way, and I haven't been able to use the dither/stipple effects personally for a long time because my recent monitors are too fat in the pixel dept. Dither only looks good if you can't discern individual pixels from a distance. The market for monitors has plummeted until there are only like two bare bones monitors at the stores. Samsung doesn't even make monitors that you can plug in and configure two separate inputs for. It's weird how we are going backward with the march of time.

Edited: For the record I haven't heard from Moratheia's author in a very long time, or what seems like a long time to me anyway. He actually made a post in here a while back, in this sub-board, but he didn't hang around after, which is pretty ****ing typical of him.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 03:50:03 PM by Holy Diver »

Holy Diver has 2335 posts
Pages: 1 [2]