simple machines forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Remember to make your own backup of posts before submitting.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Getting started: bugs and errors.  (Read 31209 times)

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 01:46:36 PM »

Hey sweet!

I spent the most of today fixing a bug thanks to your project. I noticed that the intense directional lighting wasn't lighting the furniture.

http://csv.swordofmoonlight.net/SomEx.dll/1.1.1.6.zip

I think I would have caught this sooner except I tend to work with toy test projects and Verdite never uses lights with his Rathmor project. I've given up on even mentioning the idea. And as far as I know you two are the only dudes working with Ex.

But honestly people tend to not use the map-wide directional lights, and if you do its best to make them subtle as I suggested above, so I might not have noticed them in other games I sometimes toy with.

PS/Offtopic: there is a do_arm extension that lets the arm flail about in this build in case anyone wants to try it.

While I am posting,

I also noticed today that SOM_EX.exe got linked against Windows' debug C runtime somehow. I don't know if that will run on everyone's computer but I haven't had any complaints so far. I intend to try to clean it up (something I've been meaning to do for a while) and update it here in a bit.

EDITED: So even if you drop SOM like a bad habit in short order like probably 95% or more people do, you contributed to something :wink:
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley has 2726 posts

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »

FYI: The experience points in the F6 overlay got fixed because of your project here. It was being shown as a 16bit number, but your starting experience was too large to be 16bit.

And I just fixed the Strength and Magic displays too. Not sure what happened there but they are not showing the bonuses (of your equipment) correctly. Strength was actually setup differently from Magic, so most probably I just got distracted at some point.

Also if you want to have those overlays on when you start your game you can change function_overlay_mask to c1. The last digit will turn them on if odd, off if even. Increment it (you can also just do f12_function_overlay_mask=1 but I don't want to explain how you must set them in order :rolleyes:)
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2013, 09:01:36 AM »

For the record, I just noticed that the silence.wav BGM fix didn't take for your project because it doesn't have a BGM folder. This will be fixed in 1.1.1.7.

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2013, 12:40:07 AM »

Even at a full kilobyte of silence this file sometimes pops when coming on. As far as I can tell it is correct. It occurred to me that SOM does play .mid files. It might be much simpler (more compact) to just use a silence MIDI file. Something to look into.

Arbalest

• View Profile
Arbalest says,
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2014, 10:59:49 PM »

I should have took the time to search this section...

I started recently as well, and I ran into a similar issue that SaneGino did.

However, when I started another project, it said that it was missing the IMAGES.INI file.  Now the funny part is that it was directing to the Sword of Moonlight folder, not my Sword of Moonlight EX folder that I made for this project.

I did the alternative path, but I don't think that helped in terms of the IMAGES.INI issue.

How would I go about fixing this?

Arbalest has 0 posts

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2014, 03:11:56 PM »

I should have took the time to search this section...

I started recently as well, and I ran into a similar issue that SaneGino did.

However, when I started another project, it said that it was missing the IMAGES.INI file.  Now the funny part is that it was directing to the Sword of Moonlight folder, not my Sword of Moonlight EX folder that I made for this project.

I did the alternative path, but I don't think that helped in terms of the IMAGES.INI issue.

How would I go about fixing this?

The information here is outdated. I think you should make a new thread in this board, and explain first if you are migrating an existing project, or beginning a new project. Because that will make a difference.

Either way the easiest approach right now is probably to make sure you are up-to-date and just make a new project, and then copy your existing project over it, and begin working with the new project folder.

Also I encourage you to make a new thread so something can be written there about best practices. The biggest difference between now and the information here, is now we use the project's SOM file for matters such as where to locate files and folders (this is explained in the Getting Started page, but likely not very well. SOM is Alpha right now. So you shouldn't expect setup to be a walk in the park, and shouldn't be afraid to ask for help. But neither should you not try to do as much on your own as possible.)

EDITED: I see you've made a new topic/thread already. Why not just use that one to carry on? I've moved it to this board: http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/bbs2/index.php?topic=177.0
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 03:33:31 PM by Holy Diver »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]