simple machines forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Remember to make your own backup of posts before submitting.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Getting started: bugs and errors.  (Read 28989 times)

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 06:05:08 AM »

As for the NPC problem, when I added that line to my SOM_EX.ini file, it caused missing file error messages to stop popping up, and now, I can hear the NPC walk around, but I still cant see him.   :updown:

My mistake,

That should have been do_missing_file_dialog_ok = no :doh:

What is the path to the files that are missing? Which data folder does it go to? Seems the problem is the files are not in there right?
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley has 2726 posts

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 06:23:01 AM »

I added a 0 sized kage.cp file to the files here, but it's really of no use since most people using SOM right now will be using an alternative data folder that won't contain it. You should add your own to data/enemy/model/kage.cp.

I dunno. What you are describing just sounds impossible. Is there just those 2 NPCs in your map? I presume the map tiles themselves do appear?
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 06:31:05 AM »

As for which files it told me I am missing, there are three.  Kage.cp, 0177.mdl, and 0179.mdl, which I assume may be my invisible NPC problem, although I don't quite understand.

I looked and there are no files anywhere that look remotely like 0177.mdl or 0179.mdl. Where did you get your files from?

SaneGino

• Duh pone
    • MaleView Profile
Pone should pone pone
SaneGino says,
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 08:20:43 AM »

The error points to my old install of SOM, not the EX version.  I assume it points there because of the alternate data folder?  :confused:
Game needs pony models...

SaneGino has 0 posts

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 09:16:01 AM »

The error points to my old install of SOM, not the EX version.  I assume it points there because of the alternate data folder?  :confused:

Yes it does. But why does it point to "0177.mdl and 0179.mdl" and why are those not part of your install? Any ideas? No such file as those come with Sword of Moonlight.

Anyway, can we please do this in fewer posts? You need to supply more information in your next post. Or I just won't be able to help you any further. I recommend you try making a new project from scratch until you have a better idea of how things work.

EDITED: For the record for SOM to access those they must be in your project's PARAM files. In which case they must be put there by SOM_PRM. SOM_PRM looks in the installed .prf files for the models. Then when you save the PARAM files are updated.

SaneGino

• Duh pone
    • MaleView Profile
Pone should pone pone
SaneGino says,
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 01:38:40 AM »

I understand how the program works, how to place things, how to save things etc etc, but I'm not all that sure why these error messages are popping up.  Maybe I'm dumb and am doing something wrong, and I apologize for my noobyness.

I'm sorry my posts aren't all that long, but I don't really know enough to provide paragraphs of information for you.  I'm trying to go at this one step at a time in order to keep myself from being overwhelmed.  On the bright side, I did figure out what I was doing wrong, and I facepalmed so ridiculously hard I still have a headache.  The size for the NPC's were set to 0.0  :doh: :doh: :doh:  This harkens back to my first statement, on the subject of noobyness.  :updown:

As for the error messages that pop up, the two with 177 and 179.mdl point to my old install data\sfx\model.  I'm not exactly sure what those are, but nothing seems to be out of the ordinary.

So I suppose, for now, all my errors are fixed.  Thank you.  ^^

SaneGino has 0 posts

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 03:48:41 AM »

I understand how the program works, how to place things, how to save things etc etc, but I'm not all that sure why these error messages are popping up.  Maybe I'm dumb and am doing something wrong, and I apologize for my noobyness.

They are not error messages. They are helpful hints to let you know something is amiss. I see those too. I tend to just ignore them since I don't really have any projects to maintain.

I'm sorry my posts aren't all that long, but I don't really know enough to provide paragraphs of information for you.

I didn't want paragraphs. I just needed you to retrace the steps you took, because there was nothing else to go on. That's why I suggested just starting over with a new project since there didn't seem to be a way out.

I'm trying to go at this one step at a time in order to keep myself from being overwhelmed.  On the bright side, I did figure out what I was doing wrong, and I facepalmed so ridiculously hard I still have a headache.  The size for the NPC's were set to 0.0  :doh: :doh: :doh:  This harkens back to my first statement, on the subject of noobyness.  :updown:

I'm surprised that is a legal setting myself. Sounds like a bug to me. I've combed probably hundreds of bugs out of the game player over the last few years. I haven't even gotten started on the tools. I just worked on them enough to make them usable on today's computers. And most people still refuse to use Ex out of sheer self hatred one would presume. Pat yourself on the back.

That said any idea how they got to be 0 sized? That sounds like a bug too. Though one I've never seen. I don't think setting up the alternative data folder could have caused that. But anyway I recommend removing the language pack from your text folder as long as you are already using files that have been translated. No sense in translating them twice.

The language packs are kind of a proof of concept so far. They've been around for a while but no one has needed them. I happen to be set to do more work with them here soon, but as far as I know they do work. Last I checked anyway. I set them up first thing because I am always careful to maintain that SOM is Japanese by default.

As for the error messages that pop up, the two with 177 and 179.mdl point to my old install data\sfx\model.  I'm not exactly sure what those are, but nothing seems to be out of the ordinary.

Oh yes. If you had mentioned SFX I would have known what was going on. I did do a search for those file names after giving up looking, but obviously that was completely ill-conceived because they don't exist right :doh:

Yeah I saw a couple missing SFX files when I looked to see where kage.cp was in the file tree. You have to forgive me. People assume I know a lot about SOM. But I focus very narrowly on this and that and even by the time I've focused on everything I will have forgotten how most things work.

So I suppose, for now, all my errors are fixed.  Thank you.  ^^

Please hang around and help others. I really can't justify spending my time this way. Thankfully "others" is so far a hypothetical for the most part. We need support and I just can't be it longterm. Not on every day matters at the least.

So you will be making a My Little Pony game? Time well spent then :xd:

Just kidding. I assume you want to use the artwork that comes with SOM? People say they are sick of it. But making new stuff is a time sink if you ask me. I could stand to play a lot more games with SOM's artwork alone myself. It's not like anything truly spectacular has been done with it so far. And SOM is a really great rapid-prototyping solution for any kind of adventure game. You can tell instantly if the game will be any good or not from a SOM mock up and then decide whether to invest more time into the details or not.

The artwork is rough around the edges. I am developing very ambitious editors that I will use to polish all of the rough spots away myself if I have to. Some help wouldn't hurt though. After the tools are ready to rock and roll that is :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:13:43 AM by Holy Diver »

SaneGino

• Duh pone
    • MaleView Profile
Pone should pone pone
SaneGino says,
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 04:41:24 AM »

If I had model making experience, I would LOVE to make a MLP game, but alas, I do not.  :razz:

I plan to stick around, I'll be working on this little game and fiddling around with the engine a bit every day, I hope to be able to work more quickly in the future.

The biggest issue I'm having right is trying to layout the maps in efficient manner, that is still interesting to explore, yet balanced.

SaneGino has 0 posts

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 05:19:21 AM »

Something tells me MLP would not integrate into the community so well. Time well spent :xd:

If you've ever enjoyed Armored Core you can always make a stable of MLP themed ACs after I get that working (it's going to be a while)

SaneGino

• Duh pone
    • MaleView Profile
Pone should pone pone
SaneGino says,
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 06:05:26 AM »

I do enjoy some classic armored core.  :P

SaneGino has 0 posts

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 07:35:10 AM »

I do enjoy some classic armored core.  :P

I'm going to be remaking Master of Arena with SOM basically. Just versus. Other people can make missions if they want to. That and KF2. Would rather get MoA done first (both with data ripped from From's discs)

Wolf

• View Profile
Wolf says,
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 06:42:45 PM »

The size for the NPC's were set to 0.0  :doh: :doh: :doh:
When you use the delete button in the parameter editor it erases all the default settings for the selected slot- including setting size to 0. I've done that more than once myself  :hearton:

Wolf has 148 posts

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 02:00:29 AM »

The size for the NPC's were set to 0.0  :doh: :doh: :doh:
When you use the delete button in the parameter editor it erases all the default settings for the selected slot- including setting size to 0. I've done that more than once myself  :hearton:

So that's a bug. Should be set to 1.

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 06:12:18 AM »

Here is a simple tip.

You can take the SOM_EX.exe file from the tool folder and make a copy of it in your project's folder. Then rename the EX part to the name of the map you want to test. Eg. SOM_00.exe. Then you can test your maps without going through all of SOM's tools.

It's invaluable to me. But I tend to spend most of my time testing things that aren't governed by the tools. At the very least you don't have to go through the title screen or SOM_MAP.

SaneGino

• Duh pone
    • MaleView Profile
Pone should pone pone
SaneGino says,
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 09:14:44 AM »

Well that's cool.  :razz:

I've been tumbling ideas around in my head, and I know it's going to take a while for me to finish, really just the tedium of making everything mesh smoothly.

The gist of the game I'm building is much like Battlespire, if you've ever played it, and I plan on making it rather large.

SaneGino has 0 posts
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4