simple machines forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Remember to make your own backup of posts before submitting.

Poll

Do the Take? item pickup menu and skull Save Game event menu work for you?

Yes, promptly
- 0 (0%)
Yes, but there are short pauses when confirming/cancelling
- 1 (100%)
Yes, but there are fairly long pauses sometimes or all of the time
- 0 (0%)
No, no input (other than directional) is possible
- 0 (0%)
No, confirm or cancel is possible, but not both
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: EXIT: Rathmor project w/ Ex teaser demo!!  (Read 5676 times)

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Holey Moley says,
« on: December 27, 2012, 05:30:03 AM »

Alas a December release is not in the cards for SomEx.dll (ver. 1.1.1.5) but you can try out a new demonstration of a Sword of Moonlight game in the works tentatively entitled “Rathmor” incorporating a “nightly build” of the update.

What happened? Well everything is ready. Except a last minute performance killing bug in the GNU (for Win32) libintl library reared its head. A workaround will be found before what will hopefully be an early New Year’s 2013 release.

The demo is a standalone game, however it includes all original artwork (so that you will not have to download anything much that already comes with SOM.)

Rathmor’s demo does not use libintl. But a second bug (one of SOM’s) can make the demo difficult for some users. Follow the “Forum Discussion” link below to obtain the 150MB (288MB expanded) download, information, and updates!

See the next post for vital information...
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley has 2726 posts

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 05:48:17 AM »

Here (http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/index.php?topic=628.0) is the announcement thread at www.swordofmoonlight.com :xmas:

It includes a link to this (http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/holy/Rath%20Crags.htm) page where I recommend you look for the demo. The top post has a link directly to the .zip file, also hosted here, but I can't vouch for how long it will be before that link goes dead.

I recommend editing the following code into the [Adjust] section of the Rathmor Ex.ini file:

Code: [Select]
[Adjust]
pc_walk_speed_multiplier = 0.5
pc_dash_speed_multiplier = 0.7

;edited: for difference in dash
fov_frustum_multiplier = 1.35

This will make the PC walk at the speed of a man. It may seem like a slow pace to you, but it takes time to walk several meters. Go outside and try it :smile:

Anyway the adjustment is mainly to make the walking locomotion provided by Ex (do_sway) appear more natural. Once trying that out you might want to undo the changes or adjust things as you like. The motion itself can also be adjusted but that is beyond the scope of this post.

Now I don't exactly expect anyone to do so. But if you are a responsible and good and decent human being, you will help us gather some numbers about whether or not two particular menus work for you. SOM has only one single remaining game ending bug that can make the Take X item? and the in-game Save Game (event triggered; such as when examining a save point) menus unnavigable...

Ex does some magic to make this work for most users (computer setup wise) but unlike possibly every other fix, this one is only a bandaid. It also has the negative side effect (when necessary) of making these menus clunkier than others. Unfortunately I've had at least one report of the fix having no effect upon the menus. I can't exactly understand how that is possible, but it seems to be the case.

Regardless this is definitely a bug that needs to be fixed. But it's a rather intractable bug with no obvious fix. I'm confident that a definitive fix will arrive eventually but in the meantime it would be good to know just how many people are affected by this, and potentially helpful to see if they share anything in common.

You can comment on this blog without registering with website. Please comment to say you tried the demo, and tell us if you were able to pickup items and use the save-point, which looks like a giant skull (it's pretty hard to miss)

PS: If you are experiencing this bug and are resolved to finish the demo. For some reason clicking on another window makes the menus just work the next time you press a button. We love From Software as much as anyone here, but SOM is a monument to buggery. Make no bones about it :love:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:42:56 PM by Holy Diver »
Formerly "Holy Diver" ("Holy") [Holy will be back as soon as I'm back to full form]

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 10:48:48 AM »

Oh yeah :sweatdrop:

Once in-game you can press Esc (escape) on your keyboard to change the "Analog Mode" for dual joystick game play. This feature is so far unique to this demo. The Beta mode (2-B) just inverts the look up/down axis :updown:

If you've tried all of the modes and your controller still doesn't work as desired. Please let us know in the forum so that your mode can be added to future games (it's just a simple matter of editing the Ex.ini file; anyone can do it in fact :thumbsup:)

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 01:49:26 PM »

The demo can be twitchy with Sony's controllers...

There will be a proper fix in the SomEx.dll update that will be online in a few days, but the following changes can help make the sticks more linear (less sensitive at the extremes) which will make it less likely to twitch.

Code: [Select]
[Detail]
escape_analog_gaits = .2 .25 .3 .4 .55 .75 .95

The twitching actually happens when the controller sits on a boundary between the gaits causing the gait to change back and forth (probably more because the controller's sensors are noisy than your hands being twitchy.

Holey Moley

• Website System
  • Administrator
    • MaleView Profile
    • twitter.com/m__7761
Holey Moley says,
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 11:09:25 AM »

Woops :doh:

There are a two or three Ex unfortunate bugs around movement in the demo that are detailed here (http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/index.php?topic=628.msg8405#msg8405)

Long story short, the movement going sideways/backwards is too slow, and the slide moving forward is more than it should be. The bob frequency does not take dashing into account.

These will be fixed by the upcoming SomEx.dll release. Look for it in two or three days.