Sword of Moonlight > Projects, demos, and games Information

Modern ps1 games

<< < (2/2)

Holey Moley:
Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8TO-nrUtSI) is a good video on the PlayStation's quirks. Except one quibble is it says the PS couldn't do perspective correction, and that's not correct. It uses a Q coordinate that must be calculated on the CPU or GTE manually by the programmer instead of doing the calculation on the GPU. That's because the GPU is really a 2D GPU. And probably that's why it doesn't have any 3D technology. Both being manual and perhaps inadequate explains the weird warping effects.

Bonus: Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdD0GvVRSMc) is a video I saw the other day from which I learned that the Sega Saturn wasn't even a 3D console at all. It was a sprite console that didn't draw triangles (polygons) and its 3D games simulated polygons by displaying warped and degenerated sprites.

I don't know if its sprites could be concave or not. If only convex sprites were allowed it would mean 3D games would require more degenerate triangular sprites, if not it would mean that most "quads" (two triangles) could be represented as sprites.

Bigger bonus: The Sega Dreamcast had truly exotic transparency hardware that draws triangles completely different from desktop video cards. Only some mobile devices have video cards that draw like the Dreamcast. If there were hybrid cards that could draw its way I would pay good money for them and love to support them with SOM since you can do some very liberating things with them. To this day transparency is something high end games really struggle with. I'm surprised that hardware like the DreamCast's hasn't caught on on the PC. I think even if it performed worse it would still be used for transparency effects that can't be done any other way.

Holey Moley:

--- Quote from: mosspunch on March 16, 2020, 08:44:26 PM ---Projects like Back in 1995 and the Haunted PS1 Demo Disk.
--- End quote ---

I'm so self-absorbed I didn't notice these titles before. For the record I checked them out, but they're pretty emblematic of what I already had to say. It's definitely not what I'm doing in memorializing King's Field II.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version