Sword of Moonlight > Devs

EXIT: Some website turbulence is imminent...

<< < (3/3)

Holey Moley:
Funny story... probably a decade ago, I vowed not to upgrade WordPress on this website until this (https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18322#comment:49) problem was fixed. I still occasionally get updates when anyone comments on it. Crazy thing is it's still not fixed.

I probably should make a point of updating WordPress, but I'm afraid the entire site (theme, etc.) won't be compatible. I don't know if I can drop everything to figure something out when the time comes or not.

I don't know what it says about WordPress that this has never been addressed in all of this time.

Holey Moley:
Update:

My 5yr hosting plan is expiring right now. I'm down to paying month-to-month, not knowing what to expect in the future. Luckily I found a link that led me to https://opalstack.com/2019/03/13/its-time-to-switch-to-an-independently-owned-hosting-company/ that is the WebFaction crew's new project... I recognize the names of some involved, so I'm very hopeful they will make a new/better version of WebFaction.

So, unless it's not possible, my sense is I will throw my lot in with their group. The rates are identical to the regular monthly rates at-the-moment. I think the 5yr rate is the same as before at WF but since the company's future is up-in-the-air they can't recommend buying in for 5 more years. I don't know if the new group offers likewise discounts, but I think they do have a 2mo free policy if you buy on year-to-year basis.

Their company is in beta, so it's unclear I can get an account, and unclear if everything will transfer intact. I will be back here as soon as I know more.

Holey Moley:
Update:

Migrating this website (and others on the same host) hasn't been going as smoothly as I would have liked, mainly because PHP5 isn't a built-in option and the host is new and doesn't have a lot of infrastructure or documentation, etc. But Sean at Opalstack has been practically coaching me along the way, which is above and beyond anything I deserve. Part of that is the company is in Beta and maybe my case has been an interesting guinea pig for trying out different things, which is in fairness where a lot of the friction has stemmed from.

The PHP group has pulled the rug out from under PHP in PHP7 and ended support for PHP5 that had dominated for a very long time leaving developers scrambling. It's unheard of behavior for a programming language in the realm of C and C++ developers... who incidentally are inclined to use PHP because it's very familiar to C++ developers. Sean recommend installing the web server software and everything in my shared hosting account. So far I have one installation that is Subversion with PHP7 that we hoped would have PHP5 but didn't, and another with PHP5. Meanwhile the company is working on adding Subversion, and I should probably switch over to their built-in PHP7 at some point. I had success manually editing my web software to work with 7, but wanted to have 5 for some sites too and comparison, and switch to using that when Image Magick seemed like it would not work, but that was a miscommunication...

None of this makes any sense but I'm trying to communicate I've had my hands full in my spare hours grappling with this. Yesterday I got this site and the forum up (on the new host's test domain) But I still have like 5 to 10 other sites and things to tackle.

When not doing this I've lately been struggling to make the modeling software I'm working on right now presentable on Linux systems. I just have reservations about publishing it in a nonworking state. I've even patched the Cygwin X server to make it possible, but that broke the HTML help system, so for 3 days in a row I struggled to find a way to make it possible to use without success. I'm still trying, but mainly I justified this downtime to myself by telling myself it's a learning opportunity. Doing desktop UI in Linux's environment (GTK, X) is simultaneously baroque and restrictive compared to Microsoft's environment that I've learned forward and backward from working on SOM. I worry I'm spinning my wheels but I'm making progress too. Part of the slowness of my work must be my unfamiliarity with Linux's conventions, but it's also due to having inadequate, plodding, patchy development tools.

I started using vscode (Visual Studio Code) as a debugger that went well with a CentOS install I prepared to match my web host's environment. I mean it's barely usable for debugging, which is actually better than most scenarios. I don't recommend it as a text editor because it's really not one. In fact I have to pretty much close it out and restart it anytime I want to do a debugging session. I'm surprised Microsoft is willing to slap its Visual Studio brand on vscode. It's definitely interesting for its open feature set, and availability off Windows, but it doesn't work anything like conventional text editors, so it can't be used with other tools, and it's nowhere near good enough to be a standalone one-size-fits-all deal. But I mention it to add that this too has been preoccupying me.

At some stage I pray I will pull all of the pieces together and have enough time in 2020 to just focus on filling out the rest of King's Field II in SOM. In my head I feel like that's probably doable at least to the point that all that will remain is an extra degree of polish. At least a beta by 2020 anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version