Sword of Moonlight > Beginner and other Nonsense

STICKY: Random News

<< < (15/16) > >>

Holey Moley:
I think somewhere around here (I can't find it) I expressed hesitancy to buy a new VR kit to develop with because I didn't see the controllers that came with it as viable for playing games with SOM... because they only have one index finger button. Update: I think I may not have seen the big "grip" button that's visible on the side of these controllers in some images. I guess maybe it didn't come up in articles about it because people are more interested in how the controllers have the track pad removed compared to the other WMR controllers before it. I still haven't found a picture of the trigger button or from behind the controller.

Anyway, I think this can be enough to work with. If not I was thinking since when you run in the game you duck down some, and when you crouch you duck down more, that maybe dropping your head or arms low could control dashing and crouching.

Also, again I feel like I mentioned this before, but can't find it: I'm thinking about getting the set (HP Reverb G2) before I can get a graphics card for it in the hopes it will work with my integrated graphics enough to play my KF2 project. I can't get the card because there's a global shortage on them. So maybe I'll be working on this before long. I have reason to believe it will work. It will work at least to some degree no matter what, so I could still lay some of the programming groundwork before I can get a card if it comes to that.

Holey Moley:
Here's something interesting from the past week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_3D_Engine
https://github.com/o3de/o3de
https://o3d.foundation
https://o3de.org

It's a fully noncommercial game engine under the Linux Foundation (Microsoft and lots of other big companies) with Apache license. It's based on a defunct Amazon engine that was in turn based on CryEngine. So maybe it works with game consoles, but even with Unreal the console parts are withheld, so maybe not. If it's modular maybe in the future I could rig something up to make SOM work with it in some modes if that looks promising. There's many things I wouldn't care to work on with SOM that I wouldn't be opposed to plugging into a fully noncommercial system.

--- Quote from: Edited: https://www.technewsworld.com/story/87189.html ---The most significant factor of O3DE is that the engine has been completely re-architected from the ground up as a modular system. This non-monolithic approach means that game developers can use what they want as plugins, according to LF.
--- End quote ---

Holey Moley:
Here's another interesting noncommercial game engine project I could see SOM potentially using someday towards more realistic effects.

http://diligentgraphics.com/diligent-engine/

Holey Moley:
New feature idea

This is an uncategorized idea I had. I think I will implement this any day now...

In the PlayStation days, and probably KFIV too, when you pick up an item off the field, etc. From Software chose to do something unique, in that it doesn't generate even a name for the item to tell you what it's called. There's no menu, etc.

SOM takes a different tack here by showing a normal menu with the name clearly displayed. I wonder why the classic games never went this route? For my KFII project I want to go back to the original style. I realized yesterday there's a good way to do this...

In the Options screen there's a fourth option that seems ill-fated, out of place. What it does is hide item visuals in the Use Item and Equip menus. I guess for faster browsing through them, it will just show text. This seems like something that no one (today) would want to ever turn on so it's just kind of this vestigial thing (clearly SOM's developer(s) felt it made sense in 2000.)

Instead my plan is to convert it into an option to choose to hide the menu/text when picking up items. I think it might be a nice compromise to flash the item's name in the "lower third" the same way "gold" flashes the amount picked up. That seems harmless, but I suppose I could add a hard core Ex.ini extension to even not show this.

Anyway, this option should also have a key binding, and I may build one into the menu so the text/menu can be toggled on and off with a spare button. Toggling it on will show the entire Yes/No menu and name of the item via its prompt. So this way players can be put in control of this for any game, so games won't have to decide on a style for themselves.

EDITED: Another reason I'm keen on this is just to get the out-of-place option out of the Options menu since it's kind of weird and so contributes to a sense of a game being incompetent or cobbled together. So far the menus are something I've not made much headway into. I want to replace the system stuff with Exselector,  but would like the game menu to stay and be fully customizable some day.

Holey Moley:
follow-up

I found myself doing a small project at the end of the day from the previous reply in this topic/thread about converting a useless option into a way to get classic KF style experience when examining items. I just laid down the basics. I still have to work on animating the item transition and manipulating it with the controller to call it finished.

But something really weird I discovered is the third toggle option that hides items in menus doesn't actually prevent the model files from being loaded up. That's really weird because I assumed its purpose was to speed up the menus. And I was surprised it even hides items from the pick up screen... which is doubly bizarre since they completely disappear from the scene before appearing in the menu display, so that with this option enabled (or technically off) it looks as if the object (item) has disappeared entirely from the game.

I hope I can find time to mess around with this more before long but it's good either way to be rid of that funky option in the meantime. I have set up a button toggle to turn the menu on and off with the triangle button or J key, but it only works when examining items outside of menus. I'm thinking about having the other button show text, but the menu shows the name too, so it can be used to reveal the name briefly before taking the item.

Edited: Oh yeah, for the default English I called it "Examine Display" and I'm thinking of leaving the Japanese alone since it calls it Item Display (in Japanese) which seems close enough to the meaning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version