Sword of Moonlight > Beginner and other Nonsense

Nothing to see here (Unspecified bug, deliberation)

<< < (3/3)

Holey Moley:
Well, I will get to the problem, but in case you don't know it, you had left the do_log option on, and with the extensive settings in the [Output] section. Just in case you're leaving these on as you work normally, you definitely shouldn't do that, and it's a wonder if you can even get better than 1 fps with those on.

As for the problem, it seems somehow when I thought I uploaded that repaired patch, I either ****ed up, or it didn't make it, or maybe it got corrupted. Not only don't I have time to do proper release/patches, now I guess I have to double check everything I upload in the future :evil: j/k I wish I could manage it and get any work done. I owe you one though, please grin and bear it.

Since it seems like this is a clerical error (we're learning things) I will delete this thread after a little while, if I don't forget to. Ostensibly this entire board is subject to pruning, which is why it's separate. Some will take offense at "Beginner and other Nonsense" but don't take it personally, it's meant in a good way, we'll need both if SOM has a future. Sorry :redface: anyway. The only reason that bug happened is it was something I was working on that I didn't think would be an issue.

P.S. You can associate the SOM file extension with SOM_EX.exe to open your project with the SOM file, and you can make shortcuts directly to each tool, there's actually many things you can do by making shortcuts to SOM_EX.exe. (It can technically open PRT and PRF files too, but it's a little fuzzy which Ex.ini file to use in that case. I think it will generally use the TOOL/SOM_EX.INI file, which I'm a little unsure about future-wise. You can assign it a SOM file or just set the shortcut's directory to your project. There's more advanced stuff, but I don't know if there's a full write-up of everything anywhere.)

I thought I had another tip, but anyway you can also now open save files that way since they're SOM files.

Holey Moley:
EDITED: Hey, please check your %TEMP%/Swordofmoonlight.net folder for DMP crash files. Next time I recommend starting by just explaining what happens and attach the DMP file, unless there isn't one. Although this time I think we're in the clear.

I can generally get an idea from that if any part of the stack trace is inside of the EXE. That tells me where the program is and I can either identify something in the EXE or think about what might be broken in the DLL relative to that part of the program. (I'm still getting used to it, I only added it before publishing my itch.io demo sense I thought it might come in handy. Plus at the time I crashed a couple times without the debugger and the crashes were pretty mysterious so I couldn't reproduce them.)

I really wish SOM had a vibrant community of artists and tech savvy people, I keep hoping if I can make it good enough it will pique more and more people's interest :confused:

FlameScion:
It's okay, I really like to see to some extent the development of these programs, learning from mistakes (and weird bugs that plague my very existence  :xd: ) is quite amusing and interesting. After downloading the patch once more, I managed to get the program running once again!

More than being offended I feel quite compelled and at home in the "Beginners and other nonesense" being the very definition of a noob lol, and I'm sure that, as many may be beginners, it is the first place where they will look for aid and hopefully they will find a solution there!

Will keep you informed should anything else come up or if you need something to be tested by the least tech savvy person!

Holey Moley:
If you do hang around you can help a lot by being the first to assist others and if you can write some guides from the beginner's perspective. (I really have difficulty seeing things from a regular user's perspective because my view of SOM is so close up. You'd expect me to know everything about it but the truth is I only see it very piecemeal and every week or even every day is a new project for me, it's always out with the old in with the new and I never retain information, plus I have memory issues I think caused by aphantasia.)

It really brings me grief that people aren't using SOM and talking about it.

PS: Again, this one was entirely on me, I'm not sure what happened. I'm pretty clumsy, fair warning. I'm not careless, I have blind spots you can drive a mack truck through.

Holey Moley:
Follow-up

I think I know how this happened now, I just did it again... I gotta lookout for this more...

What happens is if I build SomEx.dll while a SOM tool or game is running out of the installation, Windows won't let it be overwritten while it's in use. I always upload patches out of the TOOL folder, so if I'm in a hurry I don't notice that I'm uploading the old DLL :doh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version