Sword of Moonlight > Beginner and other Nonsense

Getting started: bugs and errors.

(1/11) > >>

SaneGino:
UPDATE: Administration speaking. The information in this thread is out-dated, so it's being locked. Some of it may be useful, but other parts are misleading because the Getting Started guidelines have since changed. Namely projects are configured with their SOM files now, and the old Ex.ini extensions have been abandoned. This wasn't just for appearances. There was actually a real chicken/egg problem with the old workflow that appropriation of the SOM file addresses very elegantly.

I'm not really much of a computer expert, I went to college for it, but never really got too far, for finances, and since I know little about EX, I would call myself a beginner.  I'm having a few problems, the first of which is the model titles are all random characters, I was wondering if there is a way to fix that, or rename them.  Second of which, there is a file missing.  Kage.cp, which I'm not sure where I can get, nor if it's as simple as pasting the file over.  Thirdly, when i start up a preview, its throws some sort of sound related error, although the sound seems to be working fine.  Is it something I should be worried about?

Thanks. ^^

Holey Moley:
Well you found your way to the right sub forum then :smile:

Sounds like you are off to a good start. SOM is really easy compared to any other way of making a full fledged video game. Luckily for you if you went to school for computers as you say you've probably faced much more intimidating things in your classes. We see a lot of people who want to make a game as if playing games and making games is the same thing.

Mostly you just have to follow the guide on the site. There is one in the Ex section and another in the Subversion repository that is a little more terse but also more thorough (though it may be a little out dated)

I can't really help with every little thing. Maybe Verdite will.

The random characters are Shift_JIS Japanese. If you want to see Japanese you need to add support to Windows via the control panel. If not you have two options.

You basically need to map Ex to an alternative data folder. That looks like this...

--- Code: (tool/SOM_EX.INI) ---[Folder]

alternative_data_folder = Z:\Transfers\KF\SOM\data
--- End code ---

That is explained in the guide. You can also drop the "Old English" language pack into the text folder. There is a guide in the text folder.

If only the model titles are garbled then you probably did something similar for your tools (ie. alternative_tool_folder) unless you did something else like overwrite the tools with other files.

There can always also be a bug. If you think there is I can look into it. Anyway unless you intend to make all of your artwork from scratch which is really advanced, you will probably want to use an alternate data folder with some of the doctored textures you can find around the internet. SOM's textures have a lot of holes and things.

I haven't quite gotten to the stage of methodically remastering all of SOM's artwork.

EDITED: Like I think the guides probably suggest we assume that your "alternative folders" are full of English translated files (in which case translation is not an issue)

As for Kage.cp you can suppress the dialog with:

--- Code: ---[Output]

do_missing_file_dialog_ok = yes
--- End code ---

You can also use cpgen.exe to make a Kage.cp file. A 0 sized file may also work. Kage is the shadow that appears under NPCs. This dialog is very handy for finding files that are missing in your game. Which tends to happen a lot when people go to share/demo games.

The sound error is a fix to warn people when their sound device isn't up to 3D sound but is trying to do it anyway. But the most likely reason you are seeing it is because of a bug that afflicts maps without a BGM file. I made a thread the other day called "Sound fun" that has a tiny silence .wav file attached. But if you can wait like a day I am about to release SomEx.dll 1.1.1.6 which has a fix for this bug.

It's a good time to get acquainted with SOM. It's not quite ready for prime time. But you can make a professional looking bug free game with it now and 1.1.1.6 has very fluid analog controls with lots of motion effects. The last few versions have had analog effects too. But its taken a while to fully flesh out all of the little details.

I was about to post something about what to expect in 1.1.1.6. There will be a more pared down introduction accompanying the blog announcement.

Holey Moley:
PS: About the sound message box. When I set it up I wasn't thinking about the no BGM bug and didn't even realize that bug would trigger it. The box is there so if someone tries a game the game won't be brought to its knees by the sound device, but instead they can keep playing without 3D sound so at the very least they will be compelled to keep playing the game and look for a fix if they like what they see.

I am frankly surprised the no BGM bug was not fixed until just now. I guess everyone is just so used to the bug being there. It only occurred to me to fix it when I was sent a test project to look at the other day that was hastily setup and so did not supply a BGM.

Holey Moley:
BTW: Here in a bit I intend to prepare a guide explaining the correct way to write a script for your game with Ex. Basically the way you translate your game into other languages is the same way you write a script for your game. You just write the first translation so to speak. It makes sense if you consider that SOM is Japanese and your game probably isn't.

Also if you go to use any of the little standalone tools that From Software released via its SOM website. Some of them. A minority I think. Will look in the install folder that is in the registry (regedit.exe) which is a problem because that's not likely to be your data folder when using Ex right now. The only thing you can really do about this is use the Setup.bat script. Just copy it into the install you want to use and run the script, then when you are done run the script in the folder that you checked out the files here to.

http://svn.swordofmoonlight.net/Setup.bat

Holey Moley:

--- Quote from: SaneGino on February 11, 2013, 08:37:56 PM ---I'm not really much of a computer expert, i went to college for it, but never really got too far, for finances, and since i know little about EX, i would call myself a beginner.  I'm having a few problems, the first of which is the model titles are all random characters, i was wondering if there is a way to fix that, or rename them.  Second of which, there is a file missing.  Kage.cp, which im not sure where i can get, nor if its as simple as pasting the file over.  Thirdly, when i start up a preview, its throws some sort of sound related error, although the sound seems to be working fine.  Is it something i should be worried about?
                                                                       Thanks. ^^

--- End quote ---

I took the liberty to capitalize your i's and add apostrophes. 8 edits in total. You get this one as a freebie :cop:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version